Introduce Yourself - We're Glad You Found Us!

Started by admin rebekahc, July 21, 2011, 10:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miranda

Hi, I am glad I found this message board, my 12 year old daughter last night ate a Kale Chip, flavored Zesty Nacho, I made a HUGE mistake and did not check ingredients, and these Kale Chips are seasoned with CASHEWS. Thank God my daughter survived.  It was very scary!!  I am trying to reach the manufacturer of these Kale Chips to let them know they MUST add the words CASHEW to the front of the bag.  I called 911 and they checked her vital signs, she just had swollen lips, itchy eyes, itchy throat, and vomiting.

rebekahc

Welcome Miranda!

Wow, that must have been so frightening for you both!  I'm glad your DD is okay now!!

That sounds like a pretty serious reaction - two body systems were involved (skin and GI).  All they did was check her vitals?  No epi?  No hospital visit?

TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Syankwitt

I have 2 children with anaphylaxis food allergies. Sesame seeds (all seeds) and all nuts. It's very difficult and scary because seeds are not usually listed. It's hard to eat out and as a parent I am always concerned about cross contamination. It  very difficult.  The kids are frustrated too.

SilverLining

Hi Syankwitt, and welcome to the forum.

I have an allergy to sesame as well.  In Canada it is sometimes listed, but there are a lot of things I can't find safe at all....like hotdog and hamburger buns.

I don't eat in restaurants.  Just not worth the risk.

marteki

Hi, my name is Marteki and I'm new here!

My 15-month old daughter has dairy and egg allergies. She had a blood test at 6 months after months of distress, and a skin prick test at 14 months to check if the allergies were still present. I get sulfite-induced migraines.

Hoping to learn from all of you and find some community here.  :-)
DD - milk, egg
me - sulfite-induced migraines

rebekahc

TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!

Punky

Glad I found this board (again). I've posted ocasionally on the old forum - usually for advice or to vent when we have a crisis!

It's nice to have the support of a group of parents and allergic kids out there going through the same issues that we are!
DD age 7 - Anaphylaxis to peanuts, treenuts, and eggs. (Outgrew dairy at age 5!)

CMdeux

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

JJ

Hi!  I am mom to my recently diagnosed peanut-allergic son.  He is twelve years old, so we were pretty surprised.  We actually though he was allergic to milk, but no...PEANUTS!  Haven't had to use the epi-pen yet, but plenty of reactions.  Making us quite nervous, especially since he's getting ready to go visit grandparents in another state for a month (without me).  Trying to get the low-down on every possible restaurant he might eat at while he's there.  Just glad to have a site where I can ask questions and learn something.  Thanks for having me.

rebekahc

Hi and welcome!  I'm glad you found us, but really sorry you needed to!  It must be such a shock to discover PA at the age of 12 - quite the lifestyle change - but, I'll bet you're glad to know what to avoid.  Feel free to jump in with any questions, there are lots of us here who've been there done that for a while and can help you get started.

~Rebekah
TX - USA

SpudBerry

Hi all - I'm BACK!  Anyone remember SpudBerry?  Otherwise known as the mother to twins - one allergic to peanuts since 13 months - one since 7 years old? 

They are now 12 years old - and going through adolescence it's just a lovely time  :tongue:
Sherlyn

Mom to 12 year old twins - Ben & Mike
Baby A - pa since 7 years
Baby B - pa since 13 months

rebekahc

TX - USA

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview