login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: thoughts on soy as pb alternative  (Read 7094 times)

Description:

Offline nonuteen

thoughts on soy as pb alternative
« on: April 01, 2013, 08:02:26 AM »
Since my oldest is PA/TNA,  I have been giving my younger two I.M. Healthy soybutter since they were @3 or 4 (they are not 9 & 11).  I never thought too much about it as they love it.  Recently though, I have been reading so much conflicting information about soy.  Some say it is good for you (IM healthy is non-GMO at least) while others argue that it can disrupt thyroid function and play a role in early puberty.  Two things that we seems to be dealing with...

Anyone done any research on this? or have any thoughts/opinions about soy?

twinturbo

Re: thoughts on soy as pb alternative
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 08:17:34 AM »
Must be a cultural/regional thing because I know of no one who thinks soy is inherently unhealthy. Quite the opposite.

But if it makes you feel better there's Sunbutter and peabutter. I don't see a huge difference nutritionally speaking. To my tastebuds Sunbutter wins over peabutter or soybutter, which taste a little bitter when roasted. Soy I always prefer in fresh soy milk from a mom & pop cafe or tofu or edamame.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 08:34:49 AM by twinturbo »

Offline Jessica

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 01:42:06 PM »
I've seen stories about it not being healthy too. Mostly on facebook. My dd does use soybutter but not in great quantities.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline nonuteen

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 03:40:32 PM »
My oldest loves Sunbutter but the younger two really prefer soybutter.  They eat it every day for lunch but I keep seeing all the articles saying soy is not the health food has been marketed as.  It concerns me that there is a possibility that it could disrupt thyroid function or cause endocrine/early puberty issues. I've been trying to do more research.  It seems like it is so hard these days to figure out what is healthy or unhealthy anymore....geesh.

twinturbo

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 04:02:06 PM »
What articles are these?

Offline nonuteen

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 04:25:54 PM »
twinturbo- since my daughter was diagnosed with precocious puberty, I started researching causes/ways to halt naturally (if possible) and many of the articles I've read have made mention of soy.  Problem being is that I can find just as many stating that none of the research is proven and soy is fine. ??? ???

That is why I wanted to see if anyone else here had opinions either way on using the soybutter as a DAILY pb alternative.  (My oldest is actually allergic to soy and can't eat.  Younger two have NKFA but we don't eat peanuts/treenuts)

twinturbo

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 05:16:33 PM »
Sometimes we need sanity savers when it comes to the unanswerable parts of medicine. Just think of it as moderating intake or balancing or diversifying and swap the soybutter out. Shelve it, come back to it later if the desire to return to it comes up.

I did hear some sort of false rumor that Asians eat only fermented soy as a purported reason why Asia isn't affected by soy in the same manner. I'd ballpark that as 50-50. There are plenty of fermented soy ingredients/delicacies but they tend to be used in smaller portion than straight tofu or fresh soy milk because the fermentation is like wine, imparts strong flavor so it's not a good base--typically. And as far as US soy beans many Asian countries have been importing US grown soy for quite a while increasingly over time.

No, I don't think soy necessarily causes health issues but yes, I don't think it's unreasonable to diversify away from daily soybutter when alternatives are available. IMHO.

Offline Ra3chel

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 06:48:38 PM »
No, I don't think soy necessarily causes health issues but yes, I don't think it's unreasonable to diversify away from daily soybutter when alternatives are available. IMHO.

This. In pretty much all of what I've seen, the issue wasn't "soy is unhealthy," but "diets too saturated with soy are unhealthy / less healthy." And that's true of almost any single thing. I think it's getting played up with soy b/c it's added to so many things you wouldn't necessarily expect to find it in, so people tend to eat more of it than they realize.
The 3 is silent.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 08:42:22 AM »
When we were dealing with the possibility of precocious puberty in DD, I was also concerned about soy.  She started showing symptoms around the time we switched her from cow's milk to soy milk.  At that time, I read that soy can act as estrogen.  We reduced her soy milk intake and tried to limit soy in other areas of her diet (since we didn't want to completely remove soy milk) and her symptoms of PP also went away.  Was there really a correlation?  Who knows.  :dunno:

I will say I'm surprised your DD (I'm guessing she's either 9 or 11 years old) would be dx'ed with PP.  Our endocrinologist said that even age 7 is within normal limits and would not be considered PP (my DD was 6.5 years at the time we were having concerns).
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 09:30:32 AM »
Is it soy or is it processed foods?

What little soy my kids have come in the way of milk and cheese.  We eat differently than the average American because we eat very little processed food as a result of allergies and diet changes for the family.  Shopping the perimeter of a store for 90% of our shopping trips and avoiding convenience foods for the most part has helped eliminate that.  I won't say we don't eat out, because we do but at the same time - we eat out way less than the average American.

Coming back to read my post after a shower - I realize that I sounded very condescending.  And I apologize because it was not meant like that as all. 

But you read this studies and the source of soy is often not clarified.  You also hear that kids are eating Happy Meals 2-3 times per week.  Hmmm, so is it the soy or is it the processed food.  I would love to be processed food free but my kids think ketchup and bbq sauce is a food group.  And then there is the allergy factor because three of us have conflicting and one of them is not cost prohibitive nor does it make it easy to make food from scratch in the home.  So yes, I do frozen pizzas for two members of the family and another brand for the rest.  And I do buy premade bread because one reacts to gluten in the air and frankly gluten/eggfree bread is a stinker to make. 

Regardless though - allergies in of themselves limit our diets and choices so that we often don't fit the average model.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 09:47:49 AM by YouKnowWho »
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 09:34:32 AM »
I read similar things to rebekahc, but it was years ago when DS was a baby. 

Offline nonuteen

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 09:42:47 AM »
Rebekahc-  She was actually dx'd years ago and started very young.  Been researching ever since (as I hated the idea of Lupron inj).  We still follow with the endocrinologist due to complications she is having.

Offline nonuteen

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 09:49:31 AM »
Youknowwho-  We also eat very little processed foods.  They say the soy can act as a natural estrogen so it is the soy butter I was concerned with as most their other foods are fruits, veggies, lean protein, whole grains.  Aside from the soy butter, they really don't eat other soy products since oldest dd is allergic to some soy ingredients and I don't use it in home meals.

Seems like there are so many "studies" about different foods that it is hard to decide which foods are best or possible factors in medical issues as I do believe that diet is a very important part of health. 

I guess it couldn't hurt to try to get them more used to the sunbutter and shelve the soy for awhile.  Think I was hesitant to do that unless I absolutely had a valid reason since we are already limited.

* I know what are saying about processed foods and agree.  Most of the things I have read cited processed foods, junk, hormones in milk as possible causes for early puberty.  First thing endocrinologist told us to do was stay away from all sugar and start counting carbs.  She said the #1 thing that would help us is a high protein, lower carb diet.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 10:48:33 AM by nonuteen »

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 10:53:01 AM »
Rebekahc-  She was actually dx'd years ago and started very young.  Been researching ever since (as I hated the idea of Lupron inj).  We still follow with the endocrinologist due to complications she is having.

I see - I thought since you were looking at soy now, it was a recent diagnosis. :)

Yes, Lupron inj. are nasty, nasty things to be avoided at all costs IMO.  I had them years ago for endometriosis, but I think they caused more problems than they solved.  When we were looking at PP with our DD, I knew we would NOT want to do Lupron unless we absolutely had to.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline nonuteen

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 11:49:39 AM »
rebekahc-  Do you mind telling me what side effects you had?  Endocrinologist keeps telling me how "safe" Lupron is and that it is better than birth control pills at this age. She is still pushing for me to have her get the Lupron inj. (Depot every 3 mos).   Unfortunetely,may have to do something due to complications with periods (bleeding disorder). 

Sorry for any confusion,  I always have issues posting too much personal stuff online so try to keep it general but think it ends up causing confusion.  I need to get over my internet phobia:)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:53:12 AM by nonuteen »