FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: thoughts on soy as pb alternative  (Read 7095 times)

Description:

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: thoughts on soy as pb alternative
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 01:08:06 PM »
I had Lupron Depo once a month for 6 months to give me "menopause" after I had laser surgery for my endometriosis.  My doctor felt that would help any microscopic cells die off and keep the endometriosis from recurring (which didn't work).

The injections are very painful, so even without the side effects, I would be hesitant for a child to have to get them regularly unless absolutely necessary.

My doctor has told me that the Lupron is responsible for basically killing my metabolism.  I gained 40 pounds while on it and can't lose it no matter what I do.  My doctor says that unless I eat only 500-800 calories a day, I will not be able to lose weight.  Obviously, that's not sustainable or realistic.

I have bone density loss and was dx'ed with osteopenia when I was in my early 30s.

Before Lupron I never had ovarian cysts, but have had them several times a year since then (this one, I'm not positive there's any correlation).

My long term side effects aren't too bad, but once my doctor told me my weight would never come off, I looked further into Lupron side effects and it gave me some some pretty serious concerns.

Since we were taking the wait and see approach with DD's PP, and reducing the soy seemed to help, I didn't really research very much into pediatric use of Lupron and possible long-term effects.  Are you a member of MAGIC?  I know they deal with PP and they may have a PP forum where you could get in touch with others who chose (or didn't) to use Lupron. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 01:31:47 PM by rebekahc »
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline nonuteen

Re: thoughts on soy as pb alternative
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 10:10:47 AM »
Rebekahc-  Thank you for sharing your experience.  I am sorry you had to go go through that.

Dr. keeps assuring me how safe Lupron is and while she has been supportive of my choice not to do it this far, I can feel that she is now thinking I am being too conservative and is trying to convince me.   It's such a hard decision...

So of course if easing off soy could help ease any of her symptoms, I would be all for it!!:) Of course, the bleeding disorder is a whole other issue...

Thank you for the link to MAJIC.  I had never heard of it and will look into it.  All the Dr. gave me were big pamplets about Lupron (of course from the drug manufacturer of Lupron ~)