Plain Cheerios!

Started by shoshana, April 02, 2013, 09:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoshana

This is the second reaction in a month or so, and the 4th in a year of the same type...small hives over her lip.  I thought last time it was the 8th Continent SoyMilk, but the one common food in each of these episodes is ... plain Cheerios.  It never dawned on me to question the safety of them. 

I called GM this morning and was on the phone for about 20 minutes filling out a report.  They have confirmed to me that the facility is not peanut free which means those da** PB Cheerios are in the facility.  Apparently, they see no reason to label for what the facility contains.  But, what's the first thing you see when you open a bag of Cheerios or pour it out?...Cheerio "dust"...don't they think that could make its way onto another line?!?    :rant:

I don't want to lose Cheerios.  It's such a nutritious choice.  Don't know what to do!

Macabre

Oh no!!  Yikes. Those PB Cheerios scare me so much. Since the cereal as a whole is the ubiquitous toddler food, I worry that there will be a whole lot more contaminated surfaces in public.

But I had thought the plain ones would be okay. Eek.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

shoshana

I know!
There were unequivocal in saying that the facility that the plain ones were made in had peanuts in the facility.  I am beside myself right now because finding a nutritious oat cereal that is dairy and nut free is a little challenging, to say the least!

nonuteen

Oh no!  Cheerios is the one cereal I always buy!!  Losing cheerios would make us very sad :'(

MandCmama

do you have a wegmans near you?  Their brand cheerios have been what we've always used.  I've never called on them specifically, but I trust their labeling.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

shoshana

No Wegman's here in New England.  Stop & Shop, Shaw's, Hannaford...

twinturbo

Last I checked on the Supervalu brand it was cleared for PN. I didn't ask about milk because my milk allergic child is allergic to wheat/barley ingredient in it.

PurpleCat

I've been afraid of this........................................DD loves her morning bowl of Cheerios and I always feel like it's a gamble.  She likes them after a late softball practice too.

Same company, we stopped buying Cinnamon Toast Crunch as they now make Peanut Butter Toast Crunch.

Jessica

I thought General Mills was one that everyone seemed to trust without question. I know in the past, I've seen posts where people assume that they're dedicated lines when I don't believe GM has ever claimed that. We do buy cinnamon toast crunch but my pa/tna dd doesn't eat them.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

shoshana

They definitely assured me that it was a dedicated line that Cheerios were made on, but also said, without question, that there are peanuts in the facility...which means PB Cheerios.  We're done with them now.  I know for sure, after 4 reactions in a year, that Cheerios was the common factor and that this has only happened since they rolled out the PB Cheerios.  :(

GoingNuts

Did you save any of the Cheerios for testing?  GM should be made aware of the results.

This is really most unfortunately, considering how Cheerios are such a common early food for toddlers.  Shameful, really.  :disappointed:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

shoshana

they have all of the information and are conducting internal research on it.  that's all she said.

shoshana

Cascadian Farms O's, anyone?  On their website and the box label says Contains Wheat, May Contain Sesame and Soy...this might work.  I will call them in the morning, but wondering if anyone has any feedback on this brand.

Mezzo

What about Malt-o-Meal brand?  I don't think they make anything peanut.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview