FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Lettuce  (Read 7163 times)

Description: Is this a common issue?

Offline notashrimpwimp

Lettuce
« on: April 05, 2013, 03:03:35 AM »
I've noticed lately that lettuce makes me curl into a ball. Whether I eat a salad or a few scraggly strips, the result is the same. Terribly painful shooting cramps and other gastrointestinal upset.

It happens whether I eat the lettuce with or without dressing too. ???

I definitely intend to bring this up at my next appointment but I am curious now and would appreciate any insight.

Thank you!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Lettuce
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 05:19:48 PM »
It's apparently possible.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19476020/

Lettuce-induced anaphylaxis. Identification of the allergen involved.

Authors
Bascones O, Rodríguez-Pérez R, Juste S, Moneo I, Caballero ML.
Journal
J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol. 2009;19(2):154-7.

Affiliation
Department of Allergology, Hospital General Yagüe, Burgos, Spain.

Abstract
BACKGROUND: Only 2 allergenic proteins have been described in lettuce allergy: a 16-kDa protein (putative profilin) and a lipid transfer protein (LTP) named Lac s 1.

OBJECTIVE: Our aim was to identify the allergens involved in the anaphylactic reactions of 2 patients who had eaten lettuce.

METHODS: The study was performed by Ig (immunoglobulin)-E immunodetection and immunodetection-inhibition assays.

RESULTS: Both patients' sera showed specific IgE binding to a single protein from the crude lettuce extract (apparent molecular weight of 14 kDa). To characterize the allergen detected, the lettuce extract underwent proteolytic digestion and heat treatment and was highly resistant to both. The patients' sera also recognized the major peach allergen Pru p 3 by immunodetection. When the lettuce allergen was incubated with both Pru p 3 from peach peel and recombinant Pru p 3, the immunodetection-inhibition assay indicated that patients were sensitized to the lettuce LTP Lac s 1.

CONCLUSIONS: The allergen involved in the lettuce-induced anaphylaxis of our patients was the LTP Lac s 1.

PMID 19476020 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Free full text: Esmon Publicidad
Related CitationsShow all
Molecular characterisation of Lac s 1, the major allergen from lettuce (Lactuca sativa).
Lettuce anaphylaxis: identification of a lipid transfer protein as the major allergen.
Anaphylaxis to wheat flour-derived foodstuffs and the lipid transfer protein syndrome: a potential role of wheat lipid transfer protein Tri a 14.
Identification of a plane pollen lipid transfer protein (Pla a 3) and its immunological relation to the peach lipid-transfer protein, Pru p 3.
Identification of IgE-binding epitopes of the major peach allergen Pru p 3.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 09:54:41 PM »
Could it be gall bladder issues?

I know it sounds stupid because gall bladder issues are often associated with fatty foods and such.  A friend of mine would have attacks after eating salad or even just lettuce on her meal.  It wasn't until after her GB was removed that she could eat salad.  And like me, her symptoms were atypical so it wasn't until she had an insane flare up where she was finally diagnosed and it was removed. 
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 09:38:02 AM »
No GI issues, but it does make my mouth itch insanely at certain times of the year - this being one of them.  ~)
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline notashrimpwimp

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 03:28:23 AM »
Could it be gall bladder issues?

I know it sounds stupid because gall bladder issues are often associated with fatty foods and such.  A friend of mine would have attacks after eating salad or even just lettuce on her meal.  It wasn't until after her GB was removed that she could eat salad.  And like me, her symptoms were atypical so it wasn't until she had an insane flare up where she was finally diagnosed and it was removed.

Would those have other symptoms too?

I'm going to see my doctor on Friday so I'll definitely mention this.

Offline notashrimpwimp

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 03:29:49 AM »
No GI issues, but it does make my mouth itch insanely at certain times of the year - this being one of them.  ~)

:( that's never pleasant.

Does it make your mouth burn too?

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 09:54:14 PM »
No burning, just intense itching.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline krasota

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 07:56:17 PM »
We've had issues lately with certain heirloom varieties of lettuce making DH's weird histamine sensitivity trigger.  It's really frustrating, because lettuce was safe and then the red romaine I picked up with our CSA share made him react.  (He's fine with the speckled troutback.  The drunken woman.  And the butter/bibb lettuces.  And the *non red* romaines.)

--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline catelyn

• typing is not exercise
    • my diy blog
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 04:36:42 PM »
Lettuce for me was a "celiac" trigger.  I couldn't eat it with out it tearing apart my insides but once I was GF it was fine.  It was very strange.

Offline krasota

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 11:29:53 PM »
Lettuce for me was a "celiac" trigger.  I couldn't eat it with out it tearing apart my insides but once I was GF it was fine.  It was very strange.

I had the same experience, catelyn.  I'm fine with lettuce now, but it was a surefire gut trigger back when I was still gluten-full.

--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline eragon

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 07:16:24 AM »
you need to get some decent medical advice, as I am going to add to the suggestions with IBS, salad is pretty high fibre so is a trigger for intense gut pain.

Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.