login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Ice Cream  (Read 44166 times)

Description:

Online YouKnowWho

Re: Ice Cream
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 06:01:18 AM »
I don't think Breyers has ever claimed to clean lines.  I just chose the standard Vanilla (and have to be careful about that because one has eggs) based on the assumption it is a popular flavor and least likely to share lines with others.

Not the safest approach for some but we aren't going to dial back until I see a rxn.  Trying to open up our comfort zone a little - it seems to be benefitting DS1 in other ways that are a mix of allergy and anxiety related.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

twinturbo

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 11:43:09 AM »
We don't have Chapman's in USA so shared lines are a reality. Take your pick of less likely.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 06:14:13 PM »
Breyer's did tell me years ago about their line cleaning process. Something about running 50 lbs of sugar through and then throwing the sugar away and then running another 50 lbs through or something. It had to do with sugar and throwing away the sugar when they were done. I must have gotten the email during the time period when my computer died and I lost a bunch of emails.

For some reason companies don't seem to want to give very detailed information these days.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

khadija

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 12:51:14 AM »
The only nut - free ice cream that I'm aware of is made by 'The Strauss Family Creamery'.
I contacted them a few days back and they gave me the following response.
Straus Family Creamery’s production plant is nut free. To ensure that our ingredients do not have any allergen contamination, we have implemented and maintain a supplier guarantee program, which ensures that all of our ingredient suppliers have validated allergen control programs."
Trader Joe's icecream which is to my knowledge Breyer ' s
Rebranded gave this response.

Our French Vanilla Ice Cream is made on equipment that does process both peanuts and tree nuts." Note the label does not indicate this.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 01:13:46 AM »
I believe Strauss Family ice cream is only available in California. Possibly only in southern California.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 06:00:47 AM »
Time to move to Southern Cali then.   ;)
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline MamaZu

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 12:03:10 PM »
 My son was the one who had the reaction to Breyers Vanilla.   Full body hives, and he ate nothing else but that so we were certain thats what caused it.   Never sent off the rest of the container and I should have....i threw it out but regret not finding out which allergen was the culprit.   We deal with PA and TNA.   Although his PA is believed to be much worse than the TNAs. 

The only ice cream he eats other than my homemade is an occasional chocolate Frosty from Wendys.   He's never had a problem.   We used to eat McDonalds many years ago before the McPEanutbutter cup thingys... but are not comfortable anymore with McD for ice cream or shakes. 

Lots of popsicles though, Philly Swirl and Luigis Italian Ice are his faves. 

Offline candyguru

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 08:08:51 PM »
Time to move to Southern Cali then.   ;)

or move to Canada for Chapmans ;)
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

MomofChild

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2014, 10:10:35 PM »
I've been making ice-cream for my pumpkin seed, sesame seed, tree nut, peanut, cucumber, and banana-allergic kid.  Just found out most suppliers of vanilla beans process them on lines shared with peanuts and tree nuts and even sesame.  Anyone know any pure and clean source?

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2014, 10:40:40 PM »
Wow. We've never had a problem with them--but I've not called. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Jessica

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2014, 01:56:45 AM »
Penzey's has told me theirs are from a pn and tn free facility but I don't know about the other allergens. I do know they sell sesame seeds.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2014, 06:04:26 AM »
http://www.nielsenmassey.com/culinary/faq.php

Q: Are your products Allergen-Free?
A: Yes. According to the Asthma & Allergy Foundation of America, dairy, soy, eggs, wheat, peanuts, tree nuts, fish and shellfish are responsible for 90% of allergic reactions. Nielsen-Massey products are free of all of these potential allergens. This includes our Pure Almond Extract, which is nut free because it consists of bitter almond oil derived from stone fruit pits.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2014, 06:06:02 AM »
Ooooh Hezz, that is great to know.  I'd love to find some quality almond extract that doesn't actually contain almonds!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2014, 06:38:52 AM »
I haven't used this brand yet, but I remembered reading about it somewhere.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2014, 05:28:59 PM »
What's the deal with So Delicious?  Their frozen coconut dessert (and chocolate mint coconut beverage for my husband) both have a lengthy allergy statement about cleaning procedures to prevent introduction of unlabelled ingredients in their products.  I couldn't find much more information on their website... just more of the same, and haven't had time to call.

A chef at Walt Disney World said I could eat it, but I was really skeptical of their allergen statement and chose not to.  (The chef showed me the container.)  I was trusting my gut at that point, and my gut said no. 

Does anyone trust So Delicious coconut products for PN/TN (and/or dairy)? 

(I cannot have anything with shared lines it seems, no matter how well they clean them - too many mystery hives trace back to those type of items.)
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum