FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Ice Cream  (Read 44152 times)

Description:

Offline Jessica

Re: Ice Cream
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2014, 06:24:25 PM »
We use the So Delicious ice cream sandwiches during the summer.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Gimmesix

Re: Peanut-free Ice Cream
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2015, 01:39:03 PM »
For those looking for safe ice cream products for children with peanut allergies, Yarnell's is one of the few we've found that lists all the allergens it uses at its factory. It does not have a dedicated line, but was not using peanuts in any of its products the last time we checked. If it is, the allergen would be listed in the "manufactured on equipment" warning, according to the company.

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2015, 06:40:39 PM »
We use So Delicious. I talked with them extensively and felt they had very good cleaning and testing practices in place.  YMMV. 

Anna W

Re: Ice Cream - Nut free
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2016, 10:20:29 PM »
I just checked with Straus as we are new to the US and this post was a little old. The response I received on Apr 4 2016 was "Straus Family Creamery’s production plant is peanut free. It is also tree-nut free, with one exception—coconut oil. Coconut oil is an ingredient in Organic Vanilla Chocolate Chip Ice Cream (only in the chips), and Organic Caramel Toffee Ice Cream (only in the toffee pieces). We have internal controls, including mandatory equipment cleanings, to ensure that there is no cross-contamination between products.

To ensure that our purchased ingredients do not have any allergen contamination, we have implemented and maintain a supplier-guarantee program, which ensures that all suppliers of ingredients to Straus Family Creamery have validated allergen control programs in place."

Yahoo! We will have a very happy eight year old.

Anna W

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2016, 10:22:20 PM »
Straus icecream is available at Natural Grocers.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2016, 06:52:13 AM »
In what part of the US?  It would be amazing to find a safe ice cream source!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2016, 07:58:39 AM »
http://strausfamilycreamery.com/

:'(  I searched within 100 miles of my zip code (hey it's ice cream!) and no one sells it near me. 

Offline starlight

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2016, 08:20:06 AM »
Straus is US west coast. A La Mode of NYC is supposedly going to be distributing in Costco's (I've been there a few times, it's amazing, I kinda hope it doesn't make it to the Midwest or I'll put on 100 pounds), but not sure where and when that's happening. I've heard that North Star's St. Louis facility is peanut-free (plant code 29-277), but I'm not sure if it's TN free and it's second-hand info so ymmv.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2016, 08:47:35 AM »
http://strausfamilycreamery.com/

:'(  I searched within 100 miles of my zip code (hey it's ice cream!) and no one sells it near me.

Ditto!  :tongue:
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2016, 11:39:58 AM »
So according to their website, two stores sell it within 100 miles of me. We were passing by one yesterday, so I put a scoop, plastic spoons, and paper bowls in baggie to take with us. I called, and the store said they didn't have it. Boo.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline MamaBear

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2016, 10:40:25 AM »
I am new to the world of food allergies. My son is 13 months old and is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts (almost all), and eggs. We are an ice cream loving family! I am still breastfeeding so I have altered my diet to accommodate his allergies. We are learning to read food labels and have found a few ice cream flavor that appear to be safe. DS hasn't tried ice cream yet and after reading this thread I am questioning the safety of the ice cream I have been eating. We still battle with eczema and I am now thinking the ice cream could play a part in that.  What questions do I ask when contacting the manufacturer? We buy Breyer's vanilla most often.
DS- eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, environmental, and eczema

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2016, 10:46:06 AM »
If we buy it, we only use Breyer's Natural Vanilla (no eggs in it), otherwise we make it ourselves...it's quite easy.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2016, 12:41:14 PM »
One of our members in Northern Virginia had a reaction to Breyer's Vanilla about 7 years ago (her son did).
 I buy it with a bit of unease, but we do but it sometimes. The Cuisinart ice cream maker is amazingly easy though. And zoku is an option for Popsicles (though there are a few safe ones you can buy, too).
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2016, 07:29:12 PM »
Only Mr. Softee or Carvel soft serve (and even then only at stores that only serve chocolate and vanilla).  Otherwise it's homemade for us.  And it rocks.  :thumbsup:
N.E. US

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2016, 08:55:51 PM »
Another vote for homemade! We like to blend up frozen bananas for a delicious and creamy frozen treat; add some frozen fruit or cocoa and make a variety of flavours. Yum!

Screamin Brothers is free of top-10 and more, but I don't know if they use corn in their packaging.  (I don't know what that waxy cardboard is made from, nothing I am allergic to, but you can call any manufacturer to find out.). We love their frozen desserts, maybe a little too much lately. 

I need to buy and freeze more bananas.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum