Scheduled a baked egg challenge today. Huh?

Started by MandCmama, April 12, 2013, 09:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandCmama

I was really hopeful last summer that we'd be able to do baked egg challenge. After his skin test allergist said no. Said if he hadn't outgrown in a year she'd sent us to Siani.

Today was just a 6 month check in for both boys. I was telling her about C leaving the safe cacoon of our sitter and venturing out into the big bad world of pre K. She said "OK, well, then lets challenge baked eggs this summer."

Don't get me wrong, I'm super excited and pinning WAY too much hope on this, but huh? I didn't want to question her though because I didn't want her to change her mind! August 2nd is the big day!

C has been tolerating minuscule amounts of super heated egg in a local pizzeria's coal fired pizza crust.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

Gray

Hmmm, it's a bit odd regarding the change in plans, but it's exciting about the challenge.

Best of luck to you & C!
DD passed an IOFC but is now on a small maintenance dose since she started having mild reactions at home.  This is allergist supervised - do NOT try this without allergist approval - there is a risk of anaphylaxis.

hezzier

I've had similar experiences with our allergist from year to year.  He didn't want to do a blood test a few years back because he felt DS was young and there wasn't enough supporting evidence of kids growing out of tree nut allergies.  He totally changed his mind by the next summer and wanted to do the blood test...of course, I hadn't prepared DS for a blood test.  I thought we were doing a SPT.

becca

I find the science of FA is ever evolving.  I have noticed changes over the years as I go to talks by local allergists.  I see/hear a trend towards less restrictive diets, if history shows tolerance, but testing reveals allergy.  So, maybe there is some wiggle room in decisions to do challenges, more than 10+ years ago? 

Our personal allergies was sticking with the old school, conservative, stance and would not ok dd going back to baked/well cooked egg, which had *never* bothered her.  we left him and just follow with our ped these days, but dd only has the PN/TN, and a raw egg allergy.  Frankly her ped got a neg rast for the egg, but we stick to cooked, as I would not introduce raw to her on my own.  Only put back what I knew she always ate in the year before we ever met the allergist. 

He had also done the flip on us with sesame.  She tested positive to sesame.  However, she has definitely has buns and pretzels with sesame on them.  After a year of avoiding that, I asked about it.  He casually waved a hand and stated, "In the absence of reaction, even with a pos test, there is no allergy.  You can give her sesame."  It seemed to counter the egg advice, but he would suggest avoiding all egg, even cooked, would hasten her outgrowing it altogether.  We spent 10 years trusting that. 

My long-winded point is there seems no exact science, as we all know.  many of our allergists differ on some of these finer points, and the science is evovling.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

hezzier

Quote from: becca on April 13, 2013, 07:27:43 AM

My long-winded point is there seems no exact science, as we all know.  many of our allergists differ on some of these finer points, and the science is evovling.

Exactly...there are often more questions than answers!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview