Another disappointing appt

Started by joanna5, April 11, 2013, 07:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joanna5

Both of my boys had allergist appts today.  My oldest was being skin tested in hopes of doing a baked egg challenge, so the allergist said we may as well test all of his allergens since he was off meds and getting due for it anyway.  Tons of big welts- they offered him Benadryl afterwards and told us to let them know during any future skin tests that he gets very impressive reactions so they'd check him earlier. Egg and walnut were bigger than the little ruler thing they use to measure them. No baked egg challenge for us anytime soon.  Ugh.

My youngest was skin tested due to some mystery hives- we suspect maybe shrimp as others were eating it at the time.  Milk and eggs remain super reactive and shrimp was borderline.  They also did a RAST on him to see where things stand. 

I go into every appt knowing it's going to suck, but there must be a little part of me that's hopeful because I'm so freaking crushed when they're over.  I *know* the boys aren't going to miraculously have negative skin tests to everything, but I guess I still keep waiting for that miracle.  I want to stop hoping; I need to stop for my own sanity. I just don't know how to, if that makes sense.
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

GoingNuts

Joanna, I feel the same.  I always have to choke back tears as I see the welts appear.  :-[

:grouphug:

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

hk

I'm so sorry!  I do the same thing every single year and it never gets any easier.  Take a day or two to wallow in your disappointment and then you'll get back to being in an okay place with it.   :grouphug: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Jessica

USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

hopechap

I am sorry.  But you can't help having dreams ... and your child healing-- what mom does not dream of that?

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

becca

dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

MaryM

I've shed many tears at the allergists office.  I'm so sorry your appointment was such a disappointment  :grouphug:

PurpleCat

I too know how you feel........................stinks................. :'(

lakeswimr

Sorry.  Know the feeling.   And DS always reacts very slowly and on the later side.  The first 5 min often have nothing and even up to close to 10 sometimes nothing and then suddenly gigantic wheels. 

notashrimpwimp

:grouphug:

I'm sorry the results were disappointing. :( Expecting and knowing are two different things.

aggiedog

So sorry.  I've been there too.  Knowing it how it will probably go, but secretly hoping it will be something else.

joanna5

Thanks, everyone.  We're okay now... still bummed, but it is what is.  Ugh.  Now to wait for my youngest's shrimp results. 
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview