FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Teen carries one epipen  (Read 15187 times)

Description:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Teen carries one epipen
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2013, 10:20:05 AM »
Just that when one parent is 'laid back' about management in a larger sense, that places you in the role of "the over-protective" one, even if you're the one actually following management recommendations issued by expert physicians.

Is there a reason why her allergist won't evaluate her again before she goes off to college?  Because I think you're right, I'd be wondering as well.   Maybe she has a really high threshold.  Sure wish that there were an easy way to know that.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline TwoDDs

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2013, 10:26:21 AM »
  "Oh, it's fine-- and if it isn't, I'll take action then."

Teen thinking to a T! 

It is possible, is it not, that she has only been carrying one everywhere and thought that was correct because she only carries one to school - where others are available to her?

In which case - perhaps you haven't got so much a battle and a reorganization on your plate. 

And, I'm sure her rather dramatic response on the telephone had more to do with being singled out and summoned away from the dinner than anything else at all.  Calmer heads will prevail.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2013, 10:29:31 AM »
Oh, she sees the allergist this summer.  But regardless, her test numbers are still very high and it's assumed she is still allergic.  She has reactions on occasion, but mainly just vomiting.

I see now what you meant.  Yes, one of DD's parents is very laid back.  It's not me.  I'm considered the overprotective/basket case parent.   ~)

Right TwoDDs, that exactly it.  She has berated me a couple of times for calling her at the restaurant, in front of all her friends.  I told her it was because she does not answer her phone (another big battle around here --- she has a phone but turns the ringer off so she doesn't have to answer to Mom and Dad) . . . and I had to know she had an epi with her, eating at an unknown restaurant and all.  I had to know.  Sorry Kid, I had to know.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline starlight

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2013, 10:33:23 AM »

Sometimes I wonder about these allergies, if they really exist anymore.  I would think she would have had an anaphylactic episode at some point since babyhood. 

Been there. I haven't had a reaction since before I started kindergarten. I'm 30 now. I was convinced in college that I outgrew b/c I grew up before advisory labelling and ate EVERYTHING. Bakery cookies, candy bars, etc. Turns out I must just have a very high threshold because my peanut skin test wheal was the size of a golf ball. And no, it's not because I'm lucky (having had cancer at 19, I'm well aware medically I am rarely ever lucky).

Pre-getting re-tested, I actually used to go to the cafeteria for dinner without my epis. :hiding: So I get where she's coming from emotionally. Actually, I get where she's coming from now, because two epis take up WAY too much room. In the past year, every single guy friend, AND my dad, has commented on how huge my purse is and I should get one smaller for going out. Well, no, I've been looking for ages for a nice, small, purse but these d*mn epis. Do they think I WANT my shoulder to fall off or wack everyone on the bus with it when I walk by?

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2013, 10:36:35 AM »
It's so good to hear from you, Starlight, and about your experiences with your allergies.  And I know about the purse.  I carry two epis myself, just to have on hand.  DD uses a Vera Bradley bag, a small one, and is able to just fit epis in there; I do know that two fit in there, as well as her inhaler, because that was what we had to make sure of before buying the bag.
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2013, 03:15:20 PM »
Re: the call at the restaurant - If she wants to be treated like a young adult and do these things, then she better damn well act like one.

She only has to carry the two epis - I will trade her in a heartbeat.  I carry 4-6 (the kids have juniors, I obviously don't), inhaler with spacer, Benadryl melts and spoons, Tums and whatever else various meds are needed.  I need a purse with rollers at this point...

Here are two links to a local young man (who was friends with many of the young ladies I knew).  He had a history of reactions but was always able to use his epi-pen to stop them.  He died from an allergic reaction to milk when his epi pen misfired.
http://www.mdjonline.com/view/full_story/15181906/article-KSU--Student-died-from-allergic-reaction

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/gbi-says-student-died-from-allergic-reaction/nDrXg/
The GBI said Davis had an EpiPen for allergies and tried to use it, but the needle bent and he was not able to inject the medicine in time.

Another local death:
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/teen-dies-after-apparent-allergic-reaction-to-nuts/nQTqy/

Although he had been allergic to peanuts his entire life and knew to avoid them, Diallo had eaten white chocolate Macadamia nut cookies plenty of times and never had a reaction, his mother said. He so accustomed to avoiding peanuts, Diallo no longer carried an Epi-Pen, a device containing medicine to stop an allergic reaction, according to his mom.

A stranger in the restaurant offered an Epi-Pen Jr., and Odom administered it to Diallo, but the smaller dose contained in the device was not enough to stop the reaction, his mother said. She tried CPR and chest compressions until paramedics arrived and took over.

And another local death
http://loganville.patch.com/articles/funeral-services-scheduled-for-teen-who-died-after-eating-a-cookie

Most deaths we hear about occur from not having the epi pen.  The first story illustrates that even one is not enough sometimes.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2013, 03:41:13 PM »
That first story is reason enough. College student. His cafeteria had been safe--except this time. His needed a second epi.

Also--Dr. Wood's reaction that required 5. I am just taking a small work break but maybe someone can find that.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2013, 06:18:47 PM »
There is a horribly tragic story of a preschooler in I think New Zealand or maybe Australia where the first epi didn't work and the teacher injected the 2nd into her thumb.  I started carrying 3 after reading that one.  :(

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2013, 09:18:33 PM »
CM -  thanks for making me  :).

GP - I'm glad you found the articles helpful.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2013, 11:10:00 PM »
She only has to carry the two epis - I will trade her in a heartbeat.  I carry 4-6 (the kids have juniors, I obviously don't), inhaler with spacer, Benadryl melts and spoons, Tums and whatever else various meds are needed.  I need a purse with rollers at this point...

If you ever find the roller purse...let me know.

I had to use a hiking style waist pack for my emergency kit at summer camp. (Yes, I know that it's a fanny pack.  But it is at least a nice one.  3-5 epis, depending on what I was doing for the day.  Albuterol and Atrovent puffers.  Battery operated neb, albuterol, atrovent, mucomyst and lidocaine for the neb.  Syringes for drawing up mucomyst if necessary.  Benadryl plus a med syringe full of cough syrup.  Emergency allergy free snack just in case.

The thing must have weighed 10 pounds.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2013, 08:09:51 AM »
oof, Janelle.   :-/

YKW, THANK YOU for those links.  Those stories are what I need.  I printed Link's info and gave to DD yesterday; I had highlighted where they told how many people needed multiple doses.  She scoffed.  Didn't prove anything to her.   ~) 
I need to scare her straight.

and yes, we continue working on respect and acting like an adult.   ~)  Doesn't help when Dad says (in front of DD) that she's just being a teenager.  Sorry, but I know teenagers who are respectful.
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2013, 08:19:29 AM »
You can be a teen without being disrespectful.  My favorite teens were the ones who were disgusted by how others treated their parents rudely.

You can experience growing pains without being a total brat about it, kwim?
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2013, 08:25:26 AM »
exactly.   :yes:  Being a teen does not mean one can be (or should be) a disrespectful little brat.

Need to add:  yesterday I explained (again/more fully) to DD why I made the phone call to the restaurant
(found the epipen on the bed; tried and couldn't get hold of her on her phone; called Dad to see if he knew; finally called the restaurant even tho I didn't want to and knew it would embarrass her = Mom was in a moment of panic since DD was eating at an unknown restaurant). 
She said she understood and that "it's okay, Mom." 

Made some progress there.   :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 08:29:09 AM by GingerPye »
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2013, 12:17:18 PM »
FWIW, it is not so easy for all girls because girls carry purses.  Some girls do not, or prefer not to do so, and are athletes and the purses do not go to the track, or the soccer field, much like McC's ds and his situation with his speech attire and no extra items.  This has been a hurdle for dd.  she has started to carry a small cross body vera purse simple because she must to carry her epis.  I need to check now:  Where is that at track practice and meets?  I presume it is on the ground somewhere.  I need to make sure she tells an adult and some friends where it is.  She cannot wear it or carry it with tiny track shorts a sports bra and Tshirt while she runs a 100m or 200m.  She has been very good with it, but I feel a sudden panic and need to know many more details.  Her life has become suddenly so Independent of me.  7th grade has changed life a lot for us. 

I am trying to allow dd to be more in charge of her epis and allergies than the school or even me, because I find it makes her better at remembering and doing well with it.  It is better than when I would sometimes carry for her, or sometimes ask for her, etc...  And I think she knows her allergies better than any teacher or school personnel at this point.  My bigger concern with school is that they respond to or recognize her allergies appropriately, if she has a reaction.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 12:19:07 PM by becca »
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2013, 12:30:36 PM »
Definitely, becca.

DD wears hers cross-body, as well-- and when she goes into the show ring, she sets the bag on the judges table-- or leaves it on top of the dog's crate (which is generally only a few feet away) or hands it to someone not showing in the same class with her, if neither of those works.

One nice thing about wearing them all the time (and not in a 'purse-purse' per se) is that the weight/heft of the bag is something that DD is so used to that she REALLY doesn't forget to put them back on.  It feels strange to her to be without that bag on her body.

She's had questions in some events-- but generally judges/etc. are fairly understanding when she explains why she wears the bag.  She has had speech judges mark her down when she forgets to take them off.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.