imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Reaction during Boy Scout camping trip (two years later)  (Read 8980 times)

Description:

Offline Greenlady

DS (age 14, allergy to peanuts) had a reaction last night during a boy scout camping trip.  It turned out fine - he used his epipen right away, and then was taken to the nearest emergency room.   But I figure it might help others to hear our story.

He's been camping many times with his troop with no problems, but this weekend was an induction event for his entrance to the Order of the Arrow, so there were a lot of different scouts from different troops.   Part of the event is a semi-fast (the boys only get a slice of bread and an egg for breakfast, and a half a sandwich and an apply for lunch), so they had a big appetite come dinner.   DS, knowing hunger could make him careless, doublechecked all the labels, even the foods he's had before with no problem, including the Chips Ahoy cookies.

What he didn't realize was they had bought more than one type of Chips Ahoy cookies.   When he got a second cookie, it was  a new variety that came from this package, which looked similar to the regular package.  http://www.target.com/p/chips-ahoy-reese-s-peanut-butter-cookies-9-5oz/-/A-12945518

He knew right away that something was wrong - it tasted horrible, his mouth started burning, and he was having trouble swallowing.  He used his epipen right away one of the leaders called me.  I told them to take him to the emergency room, and drove out to meet them (about an hour away).   No problems at all at the emergency room - they definitely had dealt with this before.

All in all, it could've been much worse.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 04:19:22 AM by Greenlady »

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Reaction during Boy Scout camping trip
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 01:02:02 AM »
Wow-- what a scare, though.

I'm glad that he was very proactive in responding to the situation-- and that it was handled very well by all concerned.

You sound so much calmer than I think I'd be right now. 

I'm thrilled to be able to say hi to you and your family-- though the reason for your post of course isn't what I'd hope for any of you.   :bye:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 08:30:36 AM »
Thank you for posting!

Wow--that could have turned out so differently. I'm glad he was able to react quickly and thàt everything worked out well. Glad he's okay! 

What was it like for him to self administer? If you don't mind posting, how did the Scoutmasters react? 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 08:34:05 AM by Macabre »
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Greenlady

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 08:32:54 AM »
Hey there!   Yeah, I haven't been on the boards for a while.  Sorry for the occasion, but good to see you.

When I posted last night I think I was still in crisis-response mode, which is what kept me safe driving the 70 miles or so in route 66 traffic to get to the ER.   This morning had me bursting into tears because at first I couldn't find the script from the ER for his prednisone and new epipen (it was printed out on a slip of paper that looked like a receipt).  Then I almost lost it at the pharmacy when the computer didn't want to renew his epipen prescription because we had just gotten new ones two days ago.  (His old ones expired this month, and I didn't want him going camping with almost-expired epipens).

This will definitely be a day to be gentle with myself!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 08:35:36 AM »
:heart:  yes. Take it easy today. The next few days are hard.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Greenlady

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 08:39:20 AM »
Thank you for posting!

What was it like for him to self administer?

He didn't have any trouble with administering the epipen.  This is the second time he's had it (the first was 4 years ago when a peanut shell accidentally hit him in the eye on the playground), and he said it didn't hurt at all.    I think the fact that his symptoms immediately stopped was a good positive reinforcement for using it.  The folks in the ER also praised him, saying that too often they see people who wait to use the epipen and their reactions are much worse.

I like the new design - after use a sheath comes down, covering the needle, so you never really see the needle itself.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 12:14:01 PM »
 :grouphug:

Yes, be very nice to Greenlady today.   :heart:

(and on another note, how is it even POSSIBLE that your DS and my DD are this old??  Does this mean that WE are that much older, too?  Not possible.... right??)

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 09:34:42 PM »
Glad he is OK!  He sounds so mature!  I'm sorry that you both had to go through that.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 09:39:55 PM »
At yi yi Greenlady!  2 members here had a little too much excitement this week.  :disappointed:

So glad to hear that your DS is OK, and that all was handled well.  If you don't mind me asking, how old is he?

Be very, very kind to yourself this week.  I'm thinking bubble bath, mani/pedi kind. Or whatever floats your boat.  :heart:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 07:35:38 AM »
He did awesome!  How is he doing today?

Besides a bit of pampering, pat yourself on the back for raising him to be able to take care of himself during anaphylaxis!

I've noticed a big increase in peanuts and nuts in cereals, bars and cookies recently.  Those aisles have become difficult to shop in the last few months and we've dropped some favorites like Cinnamon Toast Crunch due to new peanut flavors and Nutrigrain now makes bars with nuts.  Our allergist said she thinks it's all part of the effort to make these foods appear more nutritious.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 08:58:19 AM »
Greenlady, it's so nice to see you - I just wish it was under better circumstances!

I'm sorry your DS had a reaction - it must have been so scary for you since you weren't able to be with him right away!   :grouphug:  I'm so very impressed with your DS's maturity - it shows that you've done a good job teaching him.

You'd think since Chips Ahoy puts all their varieties in different colored packages, they would have done that with the Reeses ones, too.   :rant:
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline paparenttoo

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 10:28:31 AM »
Greenlady, I know exactly where you are at; DD had a reaction on Thursday.

You should be so proud of your son - he recognized the symptoms and was very proactive!
"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."
~Anonymous

DD allergic to peanuts, treenuts, and shellfish
USA

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 10:44:39 AM »
Greenlady, I'm soooo sorry this happened to DS, but I'm glad he knew what to do and did it without question!!  And that he's okay now!! Thanks so much for sharing this.  I hope you have a good day today, that you can relax a little!
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline Greenlady

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 06:37:07 PM »
Thank you everyone for your good wishes!  DS is 14, and yes, he's very mature.  I joke sometimes that his version of teenage rebellion is getting assignments done early.   He seems to be doing fine, although I'm keeping an eye out for delayed emotional reactions.  He has one more day of the prednisone/benedryl medication, and there's been no sign of further reactions, so I feel like we've been lucky (so to speak).   In a way, the timing for this is good.  A strong reminder that no matter how careful, you can still be exposed, and that having a good emergency plan works.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 06:47:41 PM »
So glad that he is doing all right.

That sick feeling you get immediately in your chest when you realize that you have just bitten into something that you shouldn't have is horrible.