FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: DD had a reaction on Thursday  (Read 3165 times)

Description:

Offline paparenttoo

DD had a reaction on Thursday
« on: May 05, 2013, 01:48:58 PM »
I feel like I can post about this now. Thursday, DD had a severe reaction when we were dining out. It was a restaurant that had served her safely many times before.  A little ways into the meal DD told me that she was feeling funny – scratching in the back of her throat and she was finding it hard to breath.  It was an epi-pen moment.

I asked her if she could walk to the bathroom w/me so that I could administer the epi-pen – she said she could. The manager called 911 while I administered the epinephrine; within 20 seconds of the shot DD told me that her breathing had gotten much, much easier! The Sheriffs department EMT was the first to arrive – he started her IV w/saline solution bag. The ambulance EMTs arrived shortly after, and started Benadryl in her drip. Once we got to the hospital, the emergency room doctor added steroids in her drip. Her blood pressure and all her vitals were good so we were then kept for observation for three hours. I was very impressed w/the EMTs and our emergency room care --- everything was by the book – our discharge instructions from the doctor stressed how severe this episode was and how important it was to keep on the drug regiment prescribed so that a rebound reaction does not occur. She is on Benadryl, Prednisone, and Pepcid.

Because DD is severely allergic to peanuts, treenuts, fish, and shellfish, we will never know what her meal was cross-contaminated with.  So what have we learned and what will we be doing differently now?  We are now only going to restaurants for special occasions --- we all know that every time you eat out it is a risk/benefit assessment.  It is going to more planning on our part ---- but it is doable.  We are going to become the master of picnics!

DD was able to attend prom yesterday and we are very thankful that she was well enough to do so.  Because of what happened, DD ate before the festivities and just had a soft drink at the restaurant.  They joined 3 other couples at the restaurant --- so not eating was no big deal. And they all understood!

So here we are --- adjusting and being very thankful for the Epi-Pen and the emergency care we received.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 01:56:37 PM by paparenttoo »
"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."
~Anonymous

DD allergic to peanuts, treenuts, and shellfish
USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: DD had a reaction on Thursday
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 01:51:43 PM »
 :heart:  Oh my goodness.

I'm glad that she was so aware and communicative!!   Also very glad that she was still able to go to prom in spite of the reaction.   :grouphug:

How are YOU doing now?

How is she feeling emotionally?

This is such a good reminder for us all that ANY time we eat food prepared by someone else, we really are taking a calculated risk.  It's so easy to get complacent when we fall into a routine-- and all too easy to forget that a single change in staff/procedure/menu is enough to render a formerly safe restaurant a very high risk.   :-[  Thank you; my family has been getting a bit too complacent about this, IMO.  DD and I were talking about that just yesterday-- that as you go a long time without a really major reaction, you do tend to loosen your comfort zone in ways you probably shouldn't-- and certainly shouldn't without thinking about the fact that you're accepting higher risks and depending more upon luck. 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 01:57:09 PM by CMdeux »
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline paparenttoo

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 02:17:53 PM »
CM, I am doing okay. I find myself tearing up a bit as I process it all. DD is doing well also --- we are lucky that she is a "glass half full" type of person and is taking the tighten safety zone in stride.  Today, I am so thankful for life.
"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."
~Anonymous

DD allergic to peanuts, treenuts, and shellfish
USA

twinturbo

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 04:58:33 PM »
Take your time it's hard to reboot after cresting the moment. That is doubly terrific that she could still make prom.

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 09:32:45 PM »
I"m sorry that happened.  You did everything right.  I'm so glad she is OK and that she got to go to her prom.  ((((Hugs))))

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 09:41:22 PM »
Wow, tight chest and teary eyes just reading this.  So relieved that she is OK.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 07:27:33 AM »
It is a horrible feeling and so hard to watch as your child goes through it. 

So glad your DD is doing well and taking things in stride.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 08:54:14 AM »
So glad your DD was okay and able to enjoy her prom!  :heart:

Having to change/re-evaluate comfort zones really sucks.

:grouphug:

I wonder if the restaurant will re-evaluate some things, too?
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 10:33:34 AM »
ohmyGOODNESS, just seeing this.  Wow.  I'm so sorry that happened to your DD!!  So glad she's okay; so glad everyone did what they were supposed to, the EMTs and all.  I can understand your tears and feelings about it all. 
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...