login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Vegetable oil and Sunflower oil  (Read 41500 times)

Description:

jade

Re: Vegetable oil and Sunflower oil
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 01:54:27 PM »
I discovered an allergy to Canola oil (Rapeseed) from of the Brassicaceae family. i don't get sick but my allergy makes my skin itch in different areas particularly starting on my ear. I believe sunflower oil also does this but it is so hard to narrow down. nearly everything has canola in it and its more rare to find items with soybean oil which i don't seem to have a reaction to. Part of the brassicaceae family includes broccoli, cauliflower, kale, collards, turnips and radish....i am hoping i'm not allergic to these other vegetables because i love them but i'm starting to narrow things down. one day i had eaten some radish and it seemed to cause pain in my gallbladder area which is organ that is known to be an indicator for allergies to a food... hope this helps some people

Lawrence

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 07:31:07 AM »
Tree pollen is in many 'natural' 'healthy' foods - eg Kiwi and I cannot eat it without severe burning to the mouth and throat. Additives containing Soya / E471, polyoils etc. may be causing gut problems in the population and now I discover sunflower oil is also causing me big problems. Food manufacturers don't seem to care.

Karin

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2017, 07:19:59 AM »
In 2014 industries started using sunflower oil in almost everything. My face has been numb since sept 2014. It took me till this year to figure out the cause.  Sunflower oil is in almost all processed food. Im hoping that as more and more people have issues they switch to a new oil but hey cooking our own food is healthier...

Kdrocks

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2021, 03:58:04 PM »
I have finally verified my reactions are to sunflowers. It is in EVERYTHING. The first thread in this post spoke about their reactions to raisin bran and Subway....two of the first reactions I had that caused anaphylaxis. Depending on my health otherwise, like my asthma, even vegetable mono and diglycerides make me react. I cannot eat out and have to be very very careful with cooking at home. It's blatantly in spice blends, sauces, processed foods and preserved goods like raisins, but it's also hidden in ingredients that say spices, natural flavors, vegetable oil, vegetable mono and diglycerides and cross contamination. I still have accidental reactions but pretty much just make everything homemade with fresh herbs and very very carefully read ingredients each and every time because formulas do change without notice. I welcome any tips or recipes for easier living.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2021, 04:04:29 PM »
I’m so glad you figured it out! It sucks that sunflower is so pervasive, but I guess it’s still better than not knowing at all.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2021, 04:34:21 PM »
So frustrating that allergens that are not in the “Big 8” (if you’re in the US) can be hidden in descriptions like “spices” and “natural flavors”.

Figuring out the source is half the battle. I’m glad you’ve been able to do that at least.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US