For PA folks: Buying produce where there is an open bin of peanuts

Started by Macabre, May 13, 2013, 07:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A grocery store near you has an open bin of peanuts in the produce area (assuming you have several other stores nearby), do you:

Buy produce at that store as well as other things
Never buy produce or anything else at that store
Buy other things at that store but not produce (and don't bother wiping those things down at home)
Buy other things at that store but not produce (but wipe down those things at home)

Macabre

I will be happy to move this to Main after a few days. I wanted more initial feedback than might be had in Main. 

We have Cub Foods near us, and they have an open bin of peanuts.  A HUGE open bin that takes up the entire end of a produce island--no lid.  This is in every Cub store apparently.  I have talked to a manager.

I also have many other options for grocery stores, albeit a little more expensive. And from what I've seen, their produce looks better. 

I'm interested in your thoughts about this if you're dealing with a peanut allergy.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

SweetandSour

I triple wash with joy. Then I triple wash again.  Never been an issue for me.

I don't mind the open nut bins. I'm pretty contact and aorosal reactive.
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

krasota

For peanuts, I don't necessarily shop elsewhere.  I just wash the produce really well.  And I sometimes buy other nuts from produce bulk bins (in the shell) because I can scrub those shells down with soap and water and then enjoy some relatively safe tree nuts (within my comfort zone).

I won't buy some kinds of produce at our local HFS with the help-yourself tubs of freshly made tofu.  Too much drippiness and risk of a contact reaction.  Heck, I don't walk on that side of the aisle if I can help it.

For the huge bowl of frequently tossed/aerosolized flour at the fresh pasta to order counter at WFM?  I buy absolutely no cut/packaged in-store cheese there, nothing made in-store, and anything bought (packaged or produce) from the entire store gets washed/wiped down.  Actually, I don't buy anything there.  I can't go in the store.  DH does the WFM shopping.  I go to Kroger, Trader Joe's, and some independent HFS. 

I generally buy produce wherever it looks the best. 
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

becca

I wash my produce really well no matter what.  The pesticides, germs, other people having handled it with goodness knows what hands, etc...  Ick.  I wash it all.  So the peanuts would not really be much different for us than just washing off stuff that might make one of us ill. 

That said, it is rare around here to see that.  I do find nuts in shells in open bins at my produce market at Thanksgiving.  Dd is TNA as well as PA.  Never had a problem, but as I said, we wash everything very well. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

CMdeux

We definitely wash-wash-wash our produce, but I see NO reason to wipe down every.single.bloody.item that I bring home from the store.

Which is why I simply shop elsewhere-- the only exception is that I WILL buy some specialty items that I can't get elsewhere.  This was how we had to get Vegenaise for a while.   :-/

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Jessica

If there are other stores, I won't shop at a store with open bins of peanuts. There is one here and a few years ago we went, didn't go anywhere near the produce where the bins were, and dd had hives shortly after. I took it as a sign.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

GoingNuts

Since I'm the one doing the shopping, I buy, then wash. 

But there is one store in particular I would advise DS to avoid, as they not only have open sacks of peanuts, but just about every other nut under the sun located in the produce aisles.  ~)
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

twinturbo

I'm generally okay with the open bins on two conditions.

(1) No switcharoos. Nuts stay put in nutty area that I can generally avoid.
(2) I can buy the produce away from the other foods.

Shaw's violates number 1 condition as they are perpetually rotating the bags of peanuts everywhere, particularly the berries. The only produce I buy from them is bagged broccoli and bagged organic bananas. Whole Foods is borderline for me, compounded by how much dairy they place in the midst of all the produce as an upsell.

In the same vein I avoid trusted gluten free items at Target because it's often in aisles with bagged flour... which always ends up dusting all the products.

That leaves me with two places I typically shop from: BJs for produce and oil, and Amazon for gluten free items that are hard to find and relatively expensive. The additional bonus is that they are boxed, not having had to share shelf space, I don't have to put them in a contaminated cart and I don't have to put them on the contaminated checkout area.

ajasfolks2

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

twinturbo

I wanted to add a note about smaller mom & pop stores because I shop sometimes at what most people would call an ethnic market for produce I can't get at your standard grocery or it's plain cheaper. The way it probably operates is the mom & pop store gets its veg delivery in bulk. They then use like a table in a back room to sort it all out and bag it up for sale. Some of the places have plastic bagging so keep in mind if you see something in a plastic bag it doesn't mean it arrived that way. Use the same judgment you'd use for a farmer's market.

aggiedog

I would probably just shop elsewhere unless there were non-produce items I could only get there.  If only because I'd be uncomfortable with the produce, I wouldn't have wanted to bring dd in, and I hate having to to go two different places.

YouKnowWho

I need a "Depends" option.

During the holidays, our stores have nuts in open bins in the produce section but they are generally away from the produce.  I don't have a problem with that for DS2.  I have a bigger problem that the bakery is across from the produce section for DS1.  Regardless, I wash all produce anyway regardless of allergies.

I however refused to purchase veggies from our grocery store when they had a basket of peanuts in the produce cooler.  I constantly found peanuts in the green beans, broccoli, etc.  But I was able to bring a few grocery receipts from the competition and say look where I spent my money on produce and they removed them (it was not a big seller and something that they lost money on).
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

maeve

ajasfolks,
You may find it hard to find a supermarket that doesn't have open peanuts in our area.  I continue to shop at my market, which primarily has open bins of nuts around the holidays.  However, they keep adding things like make your own trail mix bars and grind your own peanut butters (right on an end cap for the bread).  DD is contact-reactive and I've never wiped down our groceries when she gets home.  As I've mentioned before, I'm a slacker mom and I'm lucky if I can even get myself to the supermarket on a biweekly basis, so wiping things down (that aren't leaking) just isn't going to happen.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

ajasfolks2

I've been successful in getting our last Wegman's to make changes . . . but haven't tried new Wegman's yet to see what the situation there is (likely the pnut bins are in the candy-ish-bin area that is not co-located with produce?).

We won't buy produce at the Quantico commissary -- open bins of nut and peanuts, zero training as to X-contam and the mess . . . just a ZERO as to comprehension!

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview