FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: japanese steak houses w/PA?  (Read 2102 times)

Description:

chris allen

japanese steak houses w/PA?
« on: November 30, 2011, 02:53:08 PM »
hi! i'm not a member...but have been lurking on and off for years. you all have such great advice. i don't have much support for my son's allergies and have generally handled everything fine on my own. however, as he gets older...we are being faced with some "newer" situations that i have not really thought through. so, i wanted to bounce something off of you all to see if i'm crazy for thinking this scenario could be ok.  :)

my son is almost 6 and is PA only. he had one reaction at 18 mos that involved hives and vomitting. he has had no reactions since...we have a relatively tight comfort zone. he was invited by a family friend to celebrate their son's birthday at a japanese steak house- local place and they do cook in front of you.  i have always sworn off asian cuisine without much thought. however, this restaurant does not seem to use nuts in their dishes (from the menu posted online and a conversation over the phone). and, they do not use peanut oil. if it were an american steak house...i would say ok. it, being japanese, makes me a bit uneasy. has anyone eaten at these types of restaurants with success? thanks for any input!

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: japanese steak houses w/PA?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 03:20:21 PM »
As far as I know, Japanese food is not as nut-centric as many Asian cuisines.  I haven't researched Japanese steakhouses in a very long time, but ate at one once many years ago.  I don't remember there being any nuts anywhere on the menu.  Since they are cooking in front of you, everything is very clean (probably much more so than if behind closed doors), so IMO cross-contamination is less of an issue.  Plus, the foods are mostly fresh, whole ingredients (meat, veggies, etc) - so less chance of being a problem.  If you would feel comfortable with him eating at an American steakhouse, then I think the Japanese would not be any riskier.  Do you usually ask restaurants to check ingredients of the components they use in your DS's food, or do you just go by the menu?  Either way, since you're unsure about the Japanese place, you might call and ask if you can come in during a non-busy time to read ingredient labels on the sauces and other prepared items.  The most likely culprit I can think of would be the oil they use when cooking - it's pretty high-temp and peanut oil is good for that.

Glad you came out of lurk mode (even if temporarily)!
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 03:52:13 PM »
Besides the oil, the only other concern I would have is the sauces.  Japanese seems less likely to have peanuts than Chinese, but if the supplier does both, there could be cross-contamination.  So if they don't use peanut oil, and you ask (and get good answers) about the sauces, then I think it's fine. 

I have been meaning to check out the one we have near here, but never got around to it. I never gave it a thought until a few months ago DD (NKA) went there with friends and really liked it.
USA

Offline nameless

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 06:30:33 PM »
The japanese steakhouses used to be a staple for me, until I became too sensitive to shrimp cross-x. 

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

chris allen

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 06:58:29 PM »
thanks all! i'll go in and check on the sauces ahead of time- great idea. we only have a few tried/true restaurants...i have a hard time out of my comfort zone :) thank again!