login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Year End Parties  (Read 2056 times)

Description:

Offline MaryM

Year End Parties
« on: May 24, 2013, 10:12:51 AM »
DS is in 3rd grade and we've had no problems having safe parties until now.  This year our fun fair is being held during school hours and the room parents were told by a PTA Board Member to provide lunch, "pizza, as we always do".  DS is allergic to milk, so there will be no pizza for his class.  His room parent spoke to the teacher who spoke to the principal and they are working on a resolution.  The PTA had all the room parents sign a form stating that they would only serve food that is safe for all students in the class.  Had we not signed that form, I might have considered making a safe pizza for DS. 

I received an email from his teacher today.   She said the  Green Team Coordinators usually treat the team to lunch at year end and she wanted some alternatives to pizza.  There really isn't much I can suggest.  Because of this whole PTA predicament, I don't feel like I can offer to send safe pizza for him.  I would bc he wanted to join the Green Team, it's not mandatory and they never do food things so all year it's safe.  Any suggestions?  I'm sure there are pa/tna students in addition to my milk/egg child.

Offline yelloww

Re: Year End Parties
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 11:32:20 AM »
My ds can eat the Philly pretzel factory regular pretzels. He's ok with low levels of dairy though if it is baked in stuff. We used to do those for parties along with a fresh fruit platter.

Offline MaryM

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 07:47:48 AM »
Thanks yellow!  Both kids can do baked dairy but we have not tried Philly Pretzel Factory yet.  I will have to get some this week.

Offline MaryM

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 03:43:31 PM »
The kids will be trying the pretzels later!  DS's teacher is fantastic.  I said I'd make pizza for him and explained why I did not offer to make it for the year end party.  I told her we are trying the pretzels and if they are ok, that maybe they could do a snack type lunch.  She told me that she does not want me to make pizza, that the kids can bring lunch and the green team coordinators  will get water ice & the pretzels if it works out for DS.  She thanked me for being so open and for helping to educate her.  I love her!