FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Buns  (Read 13998 times)

Description: You know, the edible kind.

Offline GoingNuts

Buns
« on: May 24, 2013, 05:50:15 PM »
With the apparent disappearance of Wonder, we're having a bun crisis. 

Does anyone have suggestions for hot dog or burger buns that are safe for PN, TN and Sesame?

Quite honestly, I'm sure DS eats products that are X-contam for sesame quite frequently and has never had a problem. But I am really uncomfortable buying stuff that I know for sure is contaminated.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
Re: Buns
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 05:58:49 PM »
Pepperidge Farms labels for sesame.  So we use their bread.  I can't remember if I've found safe buns made by them or not.  We also do Kings Hawaiian.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 06:51:40 PM »
The Pepperidge Farms buns are not safe for sesame.    >:(. We use their bread too.

I'll have to check out the King's Hawaiian. I know there is one store here that carries them.   :)
N.E. US

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 07:54:34 PM »
We're only peanut and egg, but we use Martins potato rolls.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 10:06:38 PM »

You should double check, but I think Mac uses these too.

Offline joshsmom

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 12:03:40 AM »
We use pepperidge farms smaller rolls. We just make sliders and kids love them. There are 2 different kinds that read safe. Kings hawiian rolls are safe, but they do have egg.

Offline MaryM

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 07:52:12 AM »
I avoid sesame (no reaction history but positive RAST and small reaction in a skin test) and have a hard time finding buns.  Do you have a Shop Rite where you live?  That is the only brand I can find w/o a sesame warning.  I haven't checked Martins Potato Rolls bc they have milk in them but now that the kids can do baked dairy, I should check them again.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 10:57:03 AM »

You should double check, but I think Mac uses these too.

Yes she does!  And King's Hawaiian buns. Inhve found them at Target. I don't think I've seen Martin's since we moved to MN. :(

And I am so grateful tht PF labels for sesame--so that we know not to eat those buns.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 10:59:58 AM »
Okay, well, this kind is nice, too. :heart:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 11:11:23 AM »
We are pretty sure that Franz (local PNW brand) is safe for pn/tn/egg-- but I have to check on the specifics of the TN used and see if there are any almonds in the facility where they are made.  There ARE seeds and treenuts (hazelnuts, at least, and maybe walnuts?) in at least one of their facilities given their other product lines.  Haven't had time to call, though.

That is THE cutest picture.   :heart:

Pets are friends, not food.... pets are friends, not food.

On the other hand, for the non-vegetarians among us, I feel compelled to note that the OTHER kind of bun also widely regarded as... er...

edible.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 11:13:33 AM by CMdeux »
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline maeve

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 02:04:30 PM »
Martin's does make a sesame seed bun.  However, they do label well.  I have not called them about their manufacturing processes because we only deal with peanut, tree nut, and egg (so Kings Hawaiian are a no go for us).
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 03:14:36 PM »
The Pepperidge Farms buns are not safe for sesame.    >:(. We use their bread too.

I'll have to check out the King's Hawaiian. I know there is one store here that carries them.   :)

AH but I must comment here!  The hot dog buns are safe!  They do not carry a sesame warning like the hamburger and when I called - years ago I was told they were safe.  Due to their size and shape they are not made with any sesame buns like the hamburger buns are.

When I'm too lazy to make hamburger buns, DD doesn't mind if I split her burger and put halves side by side in a hotdog bun.

I've never found a safe hamburger bun.  I make my own thanks to some encouragement from Cookingmom so long ago.  I use my bread machine to prep the dough, take it out, shape and let do final rise and bake.  If you want them soft, brush hot bun top with melted margarine and let cool.  If you like it a with a little crunch, just cool.

I freeze a bunch and thaw as needed.  Send these to school for the school cafeteria too.  They keep them in the freezer for when DD is going to buy something that needs a bun.

Oh and PF sliders as of yesterday still have a sesame warning.  I always look at those but yesterday, along with the warning is a row of sliders with sesame seeds.  Poo!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 03:17:12 PM by PurpleCat »

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 03:16:53 PM »
Purplecat I wonder if it's regional. I've never seen a safe PF hotdog bun.  That is Virginia and Minnesota.  I also remember having to check for htis in the Houston area. 

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 03:18:03 PM »
Could be.  I'm in New England. 

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 03:50:50 PM »
Purplecat I wonder if it's regional. I've never seen a safe PF hotdog bun.  That is Virginia and Minnesota.  I also remember having to check for htis in the Houston area.
Interesting.  Here in NY metro both the hamburger and hott dog buns list sesame as an ingredient.  ???
N.E. US