login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Sunscreen  (Read 5503 times)

Description:

Offline IowaMom

Sunscreen
« on: May 22, 2013, 09:19:02 AM »
My DD used to have issues with zinc oxide, so we've always brought her own sunsreen to daycare.  However, last summer we tried a sunscreen with zinc oxide on her several times without any adverse reaction. I am leaning toward letting her just use the sunscreen they use at daycare (after we get a sample and try it a few times of course) which is an off label brand that they can buy in gallon jugs.  But evidently they also use another brand during field trips for re-applications if needed.  So, this got me thinking- are there still sunscreens out there that I need to avoid due to PA reasons??? I mean, are there sunscreens that still have peanut oil or peanut derivative in them? I tried to do a search on the internet, and there is very little info about it.  A spattering here and there about Banana Boat not disclosing their ingredients years ago, but not much else.  I guess what I'm asking is does anyone know of any sunscreens that are an absolute no-no for a PA only child? And if so, why?  Thanks much!!
10 year old DD - PA only
USA

Offline krasota

Re: Sunscreen
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 10:36:23 AM »
Some sunscreens do still contain arachidyl alcohol and arachidyl glucoside.  As to whether these are definitely problems for a PA person. . . I'm guessing it's totally individual.  I noticed just last week that one of Neutrogena's formulations contains this. 
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 05:33:05 PM »
I brought this up recently and it seems like those are not a risk. But my dd prefers to avoid them anyway. We use baby-ganics spray.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 05:23:54 PM »
We avoid those Neutrogena lotions but use a different Neutrogena sunscreen.  The ones with helioplex has also made my son's skin turn red, but I don't know what it is that does it. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Jessica

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 11:36:07 PM »
I think helioplex is the same as avobenzone? We avoid it but not because of skin irritation.  It just irritates me that it stains our clothes so badly.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 06:12:59 AM »
DD uses spray on and rub in Neutrogena Sunscreens including those with Helioplex and also Blue Lizard.  She has no problems with them.  In the past we used Baby Blanket and Kids Blanket.

I suggest patch testing on the inner wrist to see how your child's skin might react.

Offline yelloww

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 08:06:31 AM »
Whats ironic for us is that ds can use nearly any sunscreen. Even copper tone sport waterproof! I'm the one who reacts to ingredients. I use a neutrogena sensitive skin sunscreen. One of the few that doesn't make it feel like I've put an acid peel on my face.

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 07:26:25 PM »
I saw cera ve sunscreen today at CVS as well as a CVS brand of colorless zinc oxcide
I didn't buy it though, was $21
Going to see if I can find the cera ve somewhere else for less.  Might go back with extra bucks though.
Also, one I found last year was awesome.  I can't think of the name now, will see if we still have the bottle. 
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline chase

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 10:30:29 AM »
Watch for Cera Ve to go on sale at CVS.  Ours puts it on sale maybe once a month.  Buy one get the second 1/2 off.

Offline Ciel

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 02:01:04 PM »
Green Beaver Sunscreen is fantastic. I react to most other sunscreens, Ombrelle unscented is the only mainstream one I am able to use.

Anyway, Green Beaver is a Canadian company and I'm not sure how widely distributed they are, but if you can get your hands on any it is definitely worth the price. The body lotion is a little bit greasy at first, but the face cream is not. For myself I have found it to be effective protection from the sun.

It is chemical free, including the mean 15. Fragrance-Free, and free of the unhealthy ingredients that are in virtually all non-organic sunscreens (and all non-organic skin, hair and body care products, cosmetics, hair dyes, etc..) Our skin is our largest organ and really shouldn't be coated in chemicals that our bodies will absorb throughout the day, every day.

From the website:
Organic Certified, Health Canada approved
Non-whitening, Waterproof, Fragrance-free
Non-nano, non-silicone coated
Spreads evenly and quickly

Please note that it does contain zinc oxide. It also contains sunflower seed based oil and wax and raspberries and jojoba also show up on the ingredient list. I know you said that presently she seems to be fine with zinc oxide, and that she is only allergic to peanuts, but I feel it is important to note these items anyway.