login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: How long to wait?  (Read 1676 times)

Description:

Offline EmilyAnn

How long to wait?
« on: May 27, 2013, 07:53:16 PM »
I just found out that someone gave my PN/TN allergic son Jello brand chocolate pudding (the pre-made, refrigerated kind) right after dinner. He says he feels fine, but how long should I watch him for a possible reaction? It has been about 3 hours since he ate it and now it is bed time, but I am thinking of letting him stay up a little late so I can keep an eye on him.
Mommy to David age 5 1/2 allergic to cats, dogs, pollen, dust, mold, peanuts, tree nuts, beans, and peas and suffering from severe eczema and 3 other little boys with no know allergies

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
Re: How long to wait?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 08:00:12 PM »
hi,
does that product have a warning of any kind for your son's allergies or does it contain ingredients he's allergic to? 
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline EmilyAnn

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 08:01:54 PM »
there was no warning on the package but I have read a lot about kids having reactions to Jello pudding and people saying they do not trust Kraft
Mommy to David age 5 1/2 allergic to cats, dogs, pollen, dust, mold, peanuts, tree nuts, beans, and peas and suffering from severe eczema and 3 other little boys with no know allergies

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 08:02:29 PM »
Does your son have a history of delayed reactions?  Most reactions happen soon after ingestion, but I is of course possible for one to take a few hours to show up.

I don't know anything about this particular product, so I don't know the likelihood of a reaction.

I think I'd let him go to bed, butt stay close by. 

I hate those long nights.   :console:  I hope it is unevenful.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline EmilyAnn

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 08:09:38 PM »
he has only had 1 reaction so far. That was at Christmas dinner when he was eating sweet potatoes (with pecans) and almost right away he said his mouth felt funny, then a few minutes later his lips were really swollen. That was his first ever reaction, and before that we had no idea he was allergic to nuts.

I guess I will send him to bed but check on him a lot?

Should I give him his nightly dose of zyrtec (for seasonal allergies) or could that mask something?

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 08:13:41 PM »
DS is PA, but he's never had a problem with Jello puddings.  When he was TNA he didn't either, but it's not like he ate it often. 

I'm guessing he will be fine, but delayed reactions do happen.  I have delayed reactions, and mine seem to hit at teh two hour mark.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 09:11:39 PM »
Like Mac, we've eaten this (not often) without incident. We've never had a problem with Kraft either, but we also don't seem to have particularly low thresholds.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 09:57:08 PM »
The bigger concern with Krapt was their dry pudding mixes because of the pistachio pudding.  So yes, there is a risk of cross contamination there.

To the best of my knowledge the pre-made one's do not have a pistachio flavor and the current selection of mix-in's read safe (per another board).  It is also my understanding they are made and packaged in a different facility.  Keep in mind, this is what I remember reading - we don't use them in the house so I would double check personally to make sure before future consumption.

I think he would be fine to have the Zyrtec and go to bed personally.

PS - Check into Kozy Shack - their individual puddings should be safe for pn/tna.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA