imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: "Use of food" permission slip for science  (Read 16325 times)

Description: Virginia, middle school

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
Re: "Use of food" permission slip for science
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2013, 06:00:31 PM »
The permission slip is implying there may/will be "accommodations" of sorts for those with LTFA . . . is this an attempt to NOT have a 504 . . . part of the "appearances" of being concerned and diligent in effort to NOT have 504 for the LTFA students?

Have already experienced an attempt at soft-sell of "IHCP will do" recently.

Just makes me wonder.

Adding,

I guess what I'm trying to say is,

isn't this really a violation of Section 504 and process?  Cart before horse = accommodations before or without official eligibility.

Maybe they have no clue that this is outside 504 process and not ok?

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline maeve

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2013, 11:58:33 AM »
The permission slip is implying there may/will be "accommodations" of sorts for those with LTFA . . . is this an attempt to NOT have a 504 . . . part of the "appearances" of being concerned and diligent in effort to NOT have 504 for the LTFA students?

Have already experienced an attempt at soft-sell of "IHCP will do" recently.

Just makes me wonder.

Adding,

I guess what I'm trying to say is,

isn't this really a violation of Section 504 and process?  Cart before horse = accommodations before or without official eligibility.

Maybe they have no clue that this is outside 504 process and not ok?

I think it's more a result of the fact that the vast majority of their students with food allergies do not have 504s and only have the IHCP form filled out.  So they're aware of and have more students with food allergies than number of allergic students with 504s, and they're trying to cover themselves from a liability standpoint. You'll see in the forms that come home on the first day of school that there is an insurance/liability waiver that you must sign.  It's for all students and would apply if your child, say, injured herself in gym class.  That was something new this past year. 
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2013, 05:19:06 PM »
Soooooooo      if refuse to sign waiver do they not allow child to attend?

just me wondering

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!