More food Allergies now?!?

Started by anxious, June 10, 2013, 10:50:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anxious

So my son had PA/TNA. The other day he had a peach, he loved it. Then I asked if he wanted me to get more, he said he loved them, but they gave him an intchy throat. He said that before when eating certain apples, but then fine eating Fugi Applies. Does this mean he's developing OAS? Now scared to give him any new fruits worried what can happen?

CMdeux

Yes, sounds like OAS.

Keep track of which times of the year and which fruits.  :sigh: 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

I have an apple allergy which I will not go into detail of my reactions because I'm an outlier. The research isn't super positive about kicking an apple allergy but it's probably related to birch pollen. Two approaches are possible to try to address the pollen-fruit issue: (1) pollen immunotherapy, in this case most likely birch. Not very promising results to eliminate fruit reactions. (2) peel and bake the fruit to make it less potent like apple pie. Processed apple like applesauce may not be heat treated enough to denature it. Depends on the individual.

CMdeux

DD had great luck with immunotherapy, fwiw.  Some people do, some don't.

She had pretty bad OAS that was worsening rapidly between ages 3-6.

She couldn't eat apples raw at all, and not at some times of the year even cooked.  No cherries, no plums, no nectarines.  Pears, yes-- but only peeled or cooked.

Western U.S.

twinturbo

I'm going for birch and grass immunotherapy myself. I am so, so tempted to say why not what can it hurt but anytime I say something like that fate rips into my rear like an enraged pitbull.

CMdeux

Yeah-- I know.  We traded OAS for a recurrence of her milk allergy.  So, maybe not a trade that everyone would think was a good one, and frankly maybe not one WE would have made either if we'd known what we were getting ourselves into.

It's a rare, rare individual that suffers lasting harm from SCIT, though, so at least you're very seldom worse off than before.

Western U.S.

lakeswimr

I have OAS to apples during season but even then can usually eat them with minimal effects.  The rest of the year I'm totally fine.  OAS ranges from mild like mine to the very rare few who require epi pens.  I would not assume your child can't ever eat them again, esp if fuji apples are fine. 

GoingNuts

My DS's and I have OAS to most raw fruits except for berries and citrus, and some veggies.  That said, some times of year are way worse than others, and sometimes peeling helps.  I can eat small amounts of peeled apples in the winter; I can't do apple peel at any time without major itching, swelling, etc.

Knock wood, poo-poo-poo - my seasonal allergies are improving with age, and my OAS is lessening somewhat.  As long as I take my daily Claritin (which I take year-round), I can now eat plums, nectarines, honeydew, watermelon and peeled apples (winter only).  That's a big improvement over several years ago.   Cherries, peaches, kiwi, banana and some others are off limits.

One exception is cantaloupe, which seems to be more of a true allergy.  I get throat swelling just from smelling it, particularly in August when the ragweed is bad.   ~)

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

becca

Hmmm, ds seems to have a problem with apples suddenly.  Coughing the last two times he had them and said his throat felt sore.  He has declined having them since.  I have not observed it.  Dh reported it to me, rather vaguely, and ds said it happened at school as well.  I do think it was around the same time his eyes were a mess with something int he air.  It was when our pear and cherry blossoms were in full swing here in my area. 

I am wondering about some OAS with him as well.  He has said bananas make his mouth feel funny too.  But it has been so long since he ate a banana, IDN.  He does fine with banana bread.  And can have one in a yogurt(prepared) or smoothie, I believe.  I think the banana thing was just something he would say because he stopped liking eating them.  IDK.  He was younger. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

EmilyAnn

I have OAS to a lot of different kinds of fruit. My worst reaction has always been to banana. And I crave bananas SO bad when pregnant.

I have also noticed OAS symptoms with apricots, peaches, cherries, some kinds of apples, kiwi, and almonds.
Mommy to David age 5 1/2 allergic to cats, dogs, pollen, dust, mold, peanuts, tree nuts, beans, and peas and suffering from severe eczema and 3 other little boys with no know allergies

GoingNuts

Apricots are horrendous!  Evil, evil fruit.

I wish I didn't love them; I miss them so much!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

PurpleCat

My DD developed OAS to fruits years after her multiple food allergy diagnosis.  Her allergist explained that for her it was all related to her environmental allergies and her allergy cup got too full.

Unfortunately, a couple of fruits now cause anapylaxis - pineapples and all melons - melons related to ragweed and that food allergy reared it's ugly head during ragweed season and later testing confirmed it.  She had eaten cantaloupe since she was a baby and the melon that caused the reaction was the same melon she had eaten a couple pieces of earlier in the week.

As for apple, she tests positive, but eating apples like Fuji, Pink Lady, and Macs don't bother her.  Granny smith apples do.  So the allergist said, keep eating but she is to avoid eating the top of the apple where the stem meets the apple as that is where pollen can be present and prevalent.  She also said if DD ever gets an itchy mouth from apple, she must stop eating immediately and go in for testing before trying again.

All the OAS fruits can be eaten cooked or jarred as they are cooked in that process.  We have never tried, but there are people who tell me you can microwave a peach for a short time and it alters the protein enough to eat it without being cooked all the way.  It sounded too risky for me.

You can take him in for fruit testing.  You bring in small containers of actual fruit and they do skin prick testing with it.  They can blood test for specific fruits if food allergy vs OAS is a concern.  My DD failed all fruits with pits and pears.    And I had just learned finally how to cut a mango right!

twinturbo

FWIW, Mt. Sinai Dr. Li's opinion on fruit testing was SPT to the fresh fruits themselves because blood test is to lab synthesized proteins. Whether I'm reporting what she said to me accurately *shrug*.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview