login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: herr's potato chip factory tour  (Read 2000 times)

Description: Near Lancaster PA/ Chester Co PA

Offline yelloww

herr's potato chip factory tour
« on: June 12, 2013, 07:19:04 AM »
I took ds to the Herr's potato chip factory for their tour yesterday. It was great!!!

Ds can eat their chips, so we took the risk and I went without even calling first about allergies.

We got to see everything- the only part that wasn't viewed through glass windows, was the storage warehouse.

There is a room where they make cheese snacks, (ds is allergic to dairy) but we viewed the room through glass windows. The pretzels are made in a different building, and the chips are nowhere near the cheese curls. It was interesting from an. Xcontamination perspective too,

We saw them making potato chips and the tour guide put on her hair net and gloves and literally pulled out a batch of hot chips for all of us to share. They were about 30 seconds old and so yummy!!

At the end if the tour we were given a bag of chips. They have a gift shop where they sell the chips at about half the price of the grocery store. Ds was very happy because they sell ketchup potato chips there. We bought two bags.

Do not buy the "oops" bags if you have allergies. They can't guarantee the allergy safety of them and had signs posted stating so by the oops shelves.

It was fun and interesting, and the tour is free. We will definitely go back again!

Offline Princess Cheese

• The Princess of Cheese
Re: herr's potato chip factory tour
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 12:48:04 AM »
Sounds so fun!

And it makes me especially giddy that she put gloves on!  You don't always see that kind of hygienic procedures!
U.S.A. || Adult || PN/TNA  ||
I also avoid fish and shellfish. 

Mommy to 5 amazing kids!! :)
2 girls & 3 boys <3