Sweet Freedom Bakery Philadelphia

Started by MandCmama, April 25, 2013, 01:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandCmama

Googled "peanut free bakery Philadelphia" and this popped up.  I have an appointment in the city tomorrow and M has 2 birthday parties this weekend, so I'm stressing over when I'll bake the safe cupcakes to take. 
Bonus is that this place is also egg free, so C could also have a treat.  Drawback is that they are also dairy and gluten free so they might be a bit, ummm, taste free.  Mixed reviews- it seems folks with dietary issues really love, others say "weird texture",etc, etc.

Full first name removed by Hezzier
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

allerav

We have been there recently.  It is great to have such a place. The cupcakes were fine, pretty typical for gluten free in terms of taste. Lots of flavors, which was a bonus.  For coconut allergies, a no-go. After we visited I noticed that there was the following warning on their website:

Are you nut free?
We do not use tree-nuts such as almonds, cashews, walnuts, pistachios, hazelnuts, etc. in our bakery, but we do use coconut products. Because the FDA categorizes coconut as a tree nut, we are not technically considered a "nut-free facility." In addition, we use gluten free flours by Bob's Red Mill, which are packaged on equipment that also packages almond and hazelnut flours. We recommend you use your own discretion if you are highly allergic to tree-nuts. We are completely peanut free, however.

MandCmama

Thanks heizzer!

On our way home with chocolate frosted donuts and German  chocolate cupcakes for the boys  I had a Samoa and DH had a salted caramel cupcake. Very good! With the texture you'd expect of egg free. Didn't notice gluten free really... Can't wait to go back with the boys! And see their little eyes light up knowing they can pick ANYTHING in the whole bakery!
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

MandCmama

Went back today with the boys- added bonus- safe ice cream treats ( choc, van, strawberry, mint chip popcicles. Icecream chocolate chip cookie sandwiches)for the summer! The boys were in hog heaven.  Our wallets are; however, significantly lighter <sigh>
Pennsylvania, USA

krasota

I meant to take DS there last earlier this month, but forgot.  We might stop in next time.  I have to avoid fava, so that doesn't leave much on the menu that actually appeals to me.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview