FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: First wasp sting  (Read 3647 times)

Description: perfectly normal reaction

Offline TwoDDs

First wasp sting
« on: June 20, 2013, 12:51:25 PM »
I don't even know how common venom allergies are in the food allergic - but my FEELING is that my multi food allergy, asthmatic darling runs a higher risk than most.

Stung by a wasp yesterday (the little angel is 9) and - perfectly normal reaction.

I feel relieved, but not too much - because I allow that her first exposure may not be the best time to judge.  - But, a little relieved nonetheless - at least I didn't have to spend last night in the ER.

Offline eragon

Re: First wasp sting
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 12:57:40 PM »
I dont think the food allergy is going to make you more likely than anyone else in the development of bee allergy.
most people develop that allergy have a few stings before they become allergic. may have linked problems to other insect stings, but of varying severity. I think you are a higher risk of developing this allergy if you go over 7 stings.

have a sil with wasp allergy.
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 03:26:25 PM »
The first sting reaction my son had was to the first sting we know of him getting.  (The bite allergy wasn't - he'd had a lot of bites.)

Offline mommabridget

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 06:55:22 AM »
I was stung over 20 times at once by honey bees. I accidentally head butted a hive while crawling under a porch to retrieve a ball.  Was told I need to be careful of future stings as I could develop an allergy.  I avoid places with lots of bees!  I did get stung by a red wasp last year when I exited my office door!! It hurt like an electric shock- but thankfully, no reaction!

It's always a good night when you avoid the ER! Hope she is feeling better!!
Have a blessed day!
DS(22) Allergic to peanuts, cashews & soy.
DD(29) Allergic to Bactrim, & iodine. 
DD(31)NKA
DGS (born June 2011) NKA
DGS (born April 2014) NKA
Louisiana, USA

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 07:09:43 AM »

It's always a good night when you avoid the ER! Hope she is feeling better!!

QFT!

Glad all was well.   :yes:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline SkyRibbons

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 04:27:59 PM »
I've always wondered the same thing, TwoDD's.  I've always heard it isn't the first sting, but the subsequent stings which could trigger a reaction if one is going to have them.  It's good we have epi's anyway!

You know that show "Billy the Exterminator?"  The brother has an ana bee sting allergy, yet he's always working on getting rid of bee hives!  That's like my daughter working in the Jiffy PB factory.

Offline TwoDDs

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 04:23:34 PM »
Poor MommaBridget - that sounds awful.

I was very reactive to bee stings as a kid - but I got stung ALL THE TIME - neighbor had a yard full of clover and kids never wore shoes in the summer.  Eventually, I can recall the doctor talking with my mom and I about avoiding getting stung since the reactions were building. 

BUT - SilverLining's boy has a different tale to tell.

So, overall, still feeling relieved by our sting.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 08:06:25 PM »

You know that show "Billy the Exterminator?"  The brother has an ana bee sting allergy, yet he's always working on getting rid of bee hives!  That's like my daughter working in the Jiffy PB factory.

My cousin who has Ana reactions to wasp stings works as a garbage collector. 

My half-a-step sisters son who is Ana to at least one kind of sting works in some ecology thing.  He gets dropped out in the middle of nowhere, all alone, and does tests on water and ground etc.  He'll be out of contact for weeks at a time, with no way to contact anyone if he needs to.  He refuses to carry an epi-pen because it will just prolong his suffering.  However, I pointed out, that's no excuse when he's in the city.  I also suggested he see an allergist as he may be able to get shots.