login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: food allergy bullying blog NYT  (Read 2091 times)

Description: courtesy of FARE

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: food allergy bullying blog NYT
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 01:05:15 AM »
Thank you for posting this.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 06:24:24 AM »
Thanks for posting!  I didn't get to read the NYT yesterday and might have missed this.  I'm really glad this subject is finally getting some attention.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 11:09:30 AM »
I have plans to forward this article to the counselor and teacher who had the nerve to tell me that DS2 brought it upon himself when kids threatened to smear peanut butter on him by overreacting.  Yeah, I was not amused. 

DS2 tends to be a drama queen about these things and I have chatted him about how to effectively alleviate the bullying by calmly approaching the teacher or trusted adult to inform them of what is happening.  But then there is that fine line because the year before, he was eating foods and then asking questions.  While I am thankful he has become more vigilant - three trips to the ER for head to toe hives not related to food allergies and multiple discussions with allergist have put the fear of food in him.  And while we don't have a peanut free room (DS2 has never reacted to the best of our knowledge but scores high enough that our progressive allergist won't test), I would like to see a "bully free" environment for him.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA