FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: nut free baked goods  (Read 2998 times)

Description: Found locally in MA, manufactured in Canada

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
nut free baked goods
« on: June 16, 2013, 08:04:26 AM »
Made by "Create a Treat" of Brampton. ON.  They were sold by the fresh bakery area in my grocery store.  They had at least one other bakery brand and quite a selection of fresh nut free baked items. 

« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 08:07:04 AM by becca »
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline GoingNuts

Re: nut free baked goods
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 02:13:38 PM »
So exciting to find stuff like that!

My local Stop and Shop has been carrying some baked goods from a local bakery that is kosher, dairy and nut free.  I bought a chocolate babka (a coffee cake that is sort if a cross between a bread and a cake) and a bunch of challah onion rolls. Delish!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 08:23:02 PM »
If I am in one store, the Create A Treats are may contains.  If I am in another, they are peanut free.

I don't know why it makes me nervous...
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 07:26:29 AM »
Hmmm.  Maybe different locations?  Check the address?  Different production lines?
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

twinturbo

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 12:20:10 PM »
I just got off the phone with a delightful woman from Franz bakeries. They've segregated all their nut containing products to one cookie making facility. Nearly all other sources are nut free facilities including employess not allowed to bring nuts in to eat and vending machines for employees don't offer nut containing items. They truly, truly understand cross-contamination and will be offering a GF line in a dedicated Gf facility with certification, it should be safe for consumers with true medical need like LTFA or Celiac. Additionally, I was told the GF items will be labeled for may contains.

She even took the time to go in depth on lines versus facility. One of the owners kids (I think that's what she said) has LTFA to nuts and peanuts. It became one of the driving forces to manage allergens and also why they take so much effort to communicate with consumers to see if they can find some of their products that will work for them.

Anyhow, it was about a 20 min call with the CSR. She made sure to give me her name and direct number so I can keep in contact with her. I need to go back and reconfirm what she said about ALL bakery products (sans cookies specifically) from nut free facilities. Most are but one, which I think is at least breads on nut free line.

This opened doors by a factor of about 1000% for us we might even be able to extensively travel to BC depending if baked egg is possible in the next year for both. Nearly all the GF offerings will have egg of course as a binder.