imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Boar's Head Deli Lunch meat  (Read 6877 times)

Description:

Offline nonuteen

Boar's Head Deli Lunch meat
« on: June 26, 2013, 08:58:53 AM »
Does anyone use this brand?  We normally buy Hormel Natural Choice Turkey but our local store carries Boar's head and would like to try no salt added oven roasted turkey. 
Here is the website and I plan on calling later.
I checked the ingredients on the package and they looked fine and the person at the deli counter seemed allergy aware regarding cross contamination etc..

http://boarshead.com/

Offline maeve

Re: Boar's Head Deli Lunch meat
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 10:36:22 AM »
I've purchased the prepackaged Boar's Head (I think turkey or ham) a couple of times for my egg/tree nut/peanut allergic daughter.  She's had no problems with it.

More often, I purchase Applegate Farms deli for her or Wegman's prepackaged.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 07:21:19 PM »
DS ate it before his diagnosis so it's not something I checked on.  We eat it all the time, but he is not PA.

Offline nonuteen

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 10:56:14 AM »
The Boar's head that is sold at our local store is at the deli counter and not the prepackaged.  We have always avoided the deli counter due to cross contamination issues in the deli and at the slicer.
I would like to research the brand and the deli to see if it is doable however because this brands seems a little healthier than the prepackaged stuff we have been buying.
Does everyone avoid the deli counter or are some comfortable with it?

Offline maeve

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 11:31:21 AM »
We avoid the deli counter and only purchase prepackaged deli meats.  Most of the delis in my area sell mortadella and one of the tree nuts to which my DD is allergic are pistachios.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 05:38:17 PM by maeve »
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 12:03:04 PM »
I'm not allergic to pistachios, but DS is, so we avoid meat from the deli counter if they also sell mortadella.  There used to be a deli lunch meat that had PN oil (can't think of the brand right now - it wasn't Boars Head).  Although I react to eating foods cooked in processed PN oil, I don't worry about cross contamination at the deli from it.

ETA:  It's Butterball with the PN oil...  ButterBall-Deli Meat-Safe now?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 12:09:55 PM by rebekahc »
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 04:58:13 PM »
When you ask about safety, for what allergies--or did I miss that?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

hk

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 10:38:16 PM »
I usually avoid the deli counter due to the fact that most of them have mortadella with pistachio nuts in it.  However, Safeway has nothing containing any of dd's allergens behind the deli counter so I do sometimes get her something from there.  They sell a mortadella that is nut-free.  I still ask everytime just to be sure.

Offline nonuteen

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
She's allergic to peanuts and treenuts so guess I will keep buying the prepackaged stuff and continue to avoid the deli counter. 

I know this...we've been dealing with these allergies for almost 16 years.  It had been some time since we had inquired about the deli counter.  Always good to remember why we've been avoiding it all these years...sigh.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 05:25:32 PM by nonuteen »