login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Pulled Pork  (Read 16333 times)

Description:

Offline MaryM

Pulled Pork
« on: June 27, 2013, 08:17:02 AM »

Pulled Pork

Dry Rub:
•   3 tablespoons paprika
•   1 tablespoon garlic powder
•   1 tablespoon brown sugar
•   1 tablespoon dry mustard
•   1 tablespoon coarse salt
•   
•   1 (5 to 7 pound) pork roast, preferably shoulder or Boston butt
•   
Directions
Mix the paprika, garlic power, brown sugar, dry mustard, and salt together in a small bowl. Rub the spice blend all over the pork and marinate for as long as you have time for, as little as 1 hour or up to overnight, covered, in the refrigerator.   I usually try to marinate it for at least 4 hours.
Put pork in crock-pot, add 1/4 cup of water.  Cover, cook on low for 8 hours.
Remove from crock pot, shred with 2 forks.  I usually let each person add their own BBQ sauce bc some like more than others.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
Re: Pulled Pork
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 08:54:11 AM »
Thank you!  So easy!  And dh will love that because he is not a sauce person(I am).  Most crock recipes have sauce in the cooking. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline MaryM

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 10:23:56 AM »
You are welcome!  There will be a lot of liquid when it's done.  I pour most of it out and keep a little to mix with the pork.  You could get away with less salt and less water.  You really just need to cover the bottom of the crockpot with a bit of water. 

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 10:28:22 AM »
every time I use a shoulder or the picnic cut, it is terrible!  I don't know why.  it seemed like the last one hardly had any usable meat and it was mostly bone and fat.  I know many people use that cut, but I don't have good luck with it.
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

twinturbo

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 10:48:30 AM »
DH says Boston butt is the best. Intermittent immature chuckles accompanied writing that. Right, useful info, America's Test Kitchen had a really good episode on slow roasting different pork roasts and butt bone-in cam out on top.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 10:52:25 AM »
okay, where is the spewed coffee smiley?!  Cuz I just about did that when reading tt's post . . .  LOL
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 11:17:33 AM »
Becca has a close-to-Boston-butt!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline MaryM

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 11:23:58 AM »
I found this recipe is so much better in the crock pot.  You can cook it in the oven very slowly and you'll get that nice crunchy bark.  The joke in our house is that I've got to rub the butt ;D

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 11:32:16 AM »
I have a Boston butt ;) .  I was born in Boston, and attended HS in Cambridge, College in Boston.  I think it would be a painful process to cook and pull my Boston butt, however.  LOL.  And no bones in mine, TYVM.   :misspeak:

Game of cornhole TT? 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

twinturbo

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 12:16:54 PM »
In that interestingly named resort area where you may also have a Bird in Hand. Wouldn't have it any other way.

We've had really good oven dry roasting pork with light salt and sugar only. Believe it or not when you carve out the fattier portions if a dry roasted butt, slice it then coat with 5 spice and stir fry with green onion it tastes like duck almost.

Offline paparenttoo

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 07:25:22 PM »
every time I use a shoulder or the picnic cut, it is terrible!  I don't know why.  it seemed like the last one hardly had any usable meat and it was mostly bone and fat.  I know many people use that cut, but I don't have good luck with it.

Because I don't like a lot of fat either, I use a pork tenderloin that is well trimmed for pulled pork. It turns out great.
"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."
~Anonymous

DD allergic to peanuts, treenuts, and shellfish
USA

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 03:03:07 PM »
It's in the fridge marinating right now.  I'll cook it tomorrow.

We all prefer BBQ cooked into our meat, so I'll probably add it in at some point.

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 08:06:36 AM »
MaryM Thank you!!!

I used the rub on spare ribs on Sunday and for the pulled pork yesterday.  Yummy and 5 out 6 family members loved both (the one who didn't would prefer to be vegetarian, so pay no mind to him lol).

Looking forward to leftovers at lunch!!
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 12:05:33 PM »
Mary, it was delicious.  I meant to post earlier, but it's been a bit hectic around here.

when I pulled it apart, we returned it to the slow cooker with some BBQ sauce.  I think next time, we'll either put less BBQ sauce (with some of the juice we drained off) or use a milder BBQ sauce.

But, everyone loved it.

YKW, DH also wants to use this on ribs.

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 12:57:27 PM »
Was so good on ribs.  Didn't have a chance to marinate them prior - just cooked them on a super low temp in the oven for about 4 hours.  Broiled the last 10 minutes with the one sauce the family will all tolerate LOL

For the pulled pork, I shredded and sent to the table that way - between 6 of us, we use 4 different sauces.  Even when I throw one sauce on to broil with, everyone chooses their sauce to slather with if that makes sense.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA