FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Are any Nestle Canada full size bars still safe?  (Read 22945 times)

Description:

Offline Jessica

Are any Nestle Canada full size bars still safe?
« on: July 10, 2013, 12:12:52 AM »
Someone posted on facebook that only the mini sizes are safe now and that ALL full size bars are unsafe. Is this true?

eta: they said it's always been this way. So I think it's a misunderstanding, although 2 different people have said it now.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 01:22:14 AM by Jessica »
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

twinturbo

Re: Are any Nestle Canada full size bars still safe?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 10:46:30 AM »
Jessica, I'm stuck with my tiny phone screen for the time being so bear with, but did you try Nestle Canada's site? Last I saw it they give complete info. I'd check and link but... tiny screen.

ETA: I'd be interested in knowing, too.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 12:00:58 PM »
They give pretty good info even though their site is super slow (or was last night). But the reason turned out to be that the full size is not officially guaranteed with the peanut free symbol and all that so she doesn't trust it. So for this one person, at least, even if the label reads safe, if it doesn't have the peanut free symbol and isn't officially guaranteed then it wasn't "safe enough" for her. I'm guessing it was the same for the 2nd person that posted or maybe the 2nd person was under this impression due to the other person's previous posts or something. Who knows. I figure the experts here would know one way or the other.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 12:30:45 PM »
Hmmm--- well, DD has definitely eaten full sized Nestle Canada candy without any ill effects.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 12:49:41 PM »
Assuring our products are made in a Peanut Free facility means that our facility has rigorous quality control processes in place to ensure its peanut-free status. This includes extensive raw material, ingredient and finished product testing programs, supplier and employee protocols as well as regular audits, employee training, dedicated and certified allergen control staff and established Good Manufacturing Practices.

To compare apples to apples this is what I grabbed regarding Nestle Canada's peanut free promise. While I'm extremely appreciative its transparency, it's definitely got me recompiling how I define allergen management and "free of". I tend to experience an involuntary Pavlovian wince anytime I read or hear GMP.

It's been very difficult to manage dairy on one kid with the other so allergic to trace amounts so we haven't been a to risk milk chocolate in our shared eating area or residue on DS1 but I would let him have one still if I knew it wouldn't put other child at risk for only a treat.

Offline QsMommy

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 03:39:27 PM »
DS, peanut, tree nut allergic, eats the full size Nestle bars almost weekly.  :-)

Nestle Canada does label 'may contain, or contains' when necessary. 

We fully trust Nestle and have for years.

Ali
Canada

Offline candyguru

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
I have eaten the following Nestle full size bars since I was a kid (which was a long time ago).  They are made in a peanut-free / nut-free facility and I consider them totally safe as I still eat them regularly (just had a full size Aero bar this week and I am severely allergic to peanuts and carry epi-pens). 

Aero
Coffee Crisp
Kit Kat & Kit Kat Chunky
Smarties
Mirage

Please note that there are some specialty products such as Kit Kat Bites, Smarties Easter Eggs, etc which are manufactured in a different facility in which peanuts are used.  There is a bolded may contain peanuts allergy alert clearly stated on these products, so as is mentioned, always read labels as Nestle Canada will always add an allergy alert for peanuts / nuts if they are used in the facility.

Many years ago in 2001, Nestle was going to start using peanuts in the facility and was going to add "manufactured in a facility that uses peanuts" but do to a consumer protest, they reversed the decision and decided to keep this facility peanut-free / nut-free for their manufacturing of Aero, Kit Kat, Smarties, Mirage, and Coffee Crisp:

Story Filed: Monday, May 14, 2001 11:30 AM EST

TORONTO, May 14, 2001 (Canada NewsWire via COMTEX) -- Nestle Canada is pleased to announce that it will continue to manufacture Nestle Smarties, Aero, Kit Kat, Coffee Crisp and Mirage in a peanut/nut-free environment. This reverses a previously announced plan to cease production of these products in a peanut/nut-free environment as of January of next year.

"We have been truly overwhelmed by the emotional chord that our original decision struck with consumers," said Graham Lute, Senior Vice-President, Nestle Canada. "Since our announcement three weeks ago, we have received several thousand letters, phone calls and email messages from Canadians, with and without peanut/nut allergies, asking us to reconsider our position. We've read every email and letter. We've listened to consumers and moved quickly to reverse our original decision. We will pursue other options to satisfy the growing segment of consumers who want peanut/nut chocolate products."

"We realize that consumers need choice and we have tried to be both responsive and responsible in meeting this need," Lute added. "With this decision, we remain the only national confectionery company to provide a variety of popular chocolate products manufactured in a peanut/nut-free environment."

"Peanut and nut allergies are a growing concern," said Dr. Susan Wasserman, Allergist, Clinical Immunologist, McMaster University, The Firestone Chest and Allergy Unit at St. Joseph's Hospital, Hamilton. "People with this type of condition face limited choices. So do teachers, parents and friends living or working with allergic individuals. They have to be careful too. I commend Nestle's efforts to provide allergic adults and children with viable options."

The company's decision is effective immediately. However, because Nestle's original intent was to allow peanut/nuts into its factory by January of next year, it had to begin changing its packaging much sooner, to give consumers advance notice. As a result, an allergy alert will temporarily appear on a limited number of product packages now in stores. The company is in the process of producing new packaging.

"We want to reassure Canadians that these products were manufactured in a peanut/nut-free environment and do not contain peanuts or nuts," said Lute. "We invite consumers to visit our web site at www.nestle.ca or call us at 1-800-387-4636, if they have any concerns or questions."

To ensure that Nestle Smarties, Aero, Kit Kat, Coffee Crisp and Mirage are manufactured in an environment free of peanuts and nuts, Nestle Canada follows rigorous quality standards.

Nestle Canada Inc. is known for brands such as KitKat, Stouffer's, Nescaf De, Legend and Parlour ice cream, Carnation and Friskies. The company employs over 4,000 across Canada and has sales in excess of $1.6 billion annually; making it one of the largest value-added food manufacturing companies in Canada.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 10:10:51 PM by candyguru »
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline Jessica

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 12:37:53 AM »
Thanks Erik. Apparently the lack of a peanut free symbol is why these people don't trust the full size bars. I understand why it isn't there. However, how do they trust anything if they only trust things with a peanut free symbol and 100% guarantee? The one lady lives in Canada and my guess is that every *safe* food item in Canada isn't marked with a peanut free symbol. I'm sure a lot of them are (way more than in the US) but not all. She said she had been dealing with the allergy for 5 yrs and in all those years, only the snack size have been safe.

anyway, now I know and I'll keep buying from PFP.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline bleh

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 07:58:06 AM »
I suppose it would make too much sense for them to just put the peanut free logo on all the peanut free candy?
DD: PA/TNA/EA (baked eggs are okay)

Offline candyguru

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 09:33:47 AM »
I seem to remember the reason that the peanut-free symbol was added to the snack size bars was because most primary schools have peanut bans.  For example, peanuts are banned in my daughter's school and during lunch time, anything with peanuts or a may contain peanuts alert is not permitted in the classroom or school.  Having the peanut-free logo on the bar ensures it is safe for child to eat in the classroom / school during lunch.

I just called Nestle Canada.  They confirmed that if a chocolate bar is manufactured in a facility that uses peanuts or tree nuts, an allergy alert will always be added to the packaging.  She told me if there is no allergy warning, the product is made in a peanut-free / tree-nut free facility.

She also mentioned that there are regular size Kit Kat, Smarties, etc products made in other countries (ie: Europe, United States) that do have a peanut allergy warning on them which could be found in specialty shops, so she said to always read labels to ensure the product is safe.  There are also Kit Kat/Smarties/etc products made in Canada in facilities that use peanuts (ie: Kit Kat Bites, Smarties Easter Eggs, Smarties Christmas Tree Ornaments, etc) which have a peanut allergy alert.  So always read labels.

So in summary:

If a Nestle Canada chocolate bar is manufactured in a facility that uses peanuts / nuts, an allergy alert will always be added to the packaging.

So we will continue to eat Aero, Coffee Crisp, Smarties, Kit Kat and Mirage - and always read the labels as well ;)

p.s. and yes Jessica: some products have a peanut-free logo, but at least 90% or more of the food I eat does not have a peanut free logo - bread, cereals, milk, juice, chicken, soups, etc don't have the logo but I still eat them anyway
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 09:35:28 AM by candyguru »
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould

Offline Jessica

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 02:24:00 PM »
bumping-this seems to be coming up on the facebook group again and canadians are insisting that no symbol means not safe. SMH
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline candyguru

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 09:23:31 AM »
bumping-this seems to be coming up on the facebook group again and canadians are insisting that no symbol means not safe. SMH

Perhaps these Canadians could call Nestle Canada at their toll-free number 1-800-387-4636.  I have not called in a while but when I did, they confirmed that if peanuts/nuts are used in the facility there would be a warning.

For example, Kit Kat Bites, Big Turk, Nestle Crunch, and more all have a peanut warning omn the label since they are made in a facility that processes peanuts/nuts.

The regular size Aero, Aero Mint, Coffee Crisp, Kit Kat, Kit Kat Chunky, Smarties, and Mirage do niot have a peanut/nut warning as I was told they are manufactured in a peanut-free/nut-free facility.

This information is specific to Nestle Canada.  Nestle full size bars from other countries (Australia, Poland, Holland, etc) could contain nuts/peanuts so always read labels.

=======================

Anna Marie, Catelyn, and other Canadians: have you ever heard this story before?  I have never heard anyone call these bars unsafe.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 01:14:45 PM »
This is a common question/statement that pops up in Canada.  As the 'peanut-free' symbols are so prevalent, some schools say children can only bring in packaged items with the peanut-free logo on it for snack.  (I haven't seen this situation at any local schools, but so they say...)  Some people think that if there is no peanut-free logo the item isn't peanut-free, despite whatever other nutritional information or labelling may be present.  However, this isn't true, as many items that are still safe for PA, even from the same company, may not have the logo on them.  Dare does this too - not all of their snacks have the logo, despite being made in a peanut-free, tree nut-free facility.  (I think Dare is updating their product packaging to include this logo on all safe items.)  Other companies like Nestle, you'd have to call to find out their labelling policy and whether or not they label for shared lines and/or facility and what criteria (if any) that would prompt some items to have the logo and others to not.

Then there's the flip side of when the peanut-free logo is misused, such as showing a peanut in the middle and saying 'nut-free' around the edge.  How confusing: is it nut-free, peanut-free, both? We always call, and it's usually both, but not always. 

It's a tricky dance, especially when cautionary allergy labelling, and the addition of the peanut-free logo is optional.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline Jessica

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 04:25:11 PM »
Has anyone contacted Nestle Canada recently? Seems they are now sending out a 'form email' that really doesn't say one way or the other if they are still labeling for shared lines/facility.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline bleh

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 10:41:44 AM »
Nestle needs to bring back the aero snack size 20 pack! Has anyone seen them recently? I couldn't find any on my last trip.
DD: PA/TNA/EA (baked eggs are okay)