FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Fish Allergy & Gelatin/Marshmallows  (Read 25644 times)

Description:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Fish Allergy & Gelatin/Marshmallows
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 03:02:19 PM »
Maybe.  I'm not sure that the answer is a clear yes/no.

I suppose that it is POSSIBLE... but on the other hand:

a) I know of no reason why shellfish would be involved in rice production, harvesting, or packaging, and
b) I have never encountered a plain rice which has given me a problem.

Now, I fully concede that it's possible that I'm allergic to an atypical crustacean protein or something like that, which would make this particular set of anecdata useless...  so.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

jschwab

Re: Fish Allergy & Gelatin/Marshmallows
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 04:14:35 PM »
Maybe.  I'm not sure that the answer is a clear yes/no.

I suppose that it is POSSIBLE... but on the other hand:

a) I know of no reason why shellfish would be involved in rice production, harvesting, or packaging, and
b) I have never encountered a plain rice which has given me a problem.

Now, I fully concede that it's possible that I'm allergic to an atypical crustacean protein or something like that, which would make this particular set of anecdata useless...  so.

My impression has been that you are a lot more sensitized than me, so I will go with your gut (and skin and airways) and assume rice is clean of shellfish. I had gastro and skin reactions to pills containing rice and brown rice syrup in canned foods, so it's something, but I never figured out what. It seemed related to protein since brown rice always gave me a lot more trouble but I do not think of the reactions I had as particularly classically food allergy.