FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Specific Food Allergies > Fish/Shellfish Allergy

Fish Allergy & Gelatin/Marshmallows

<< < (4/4)

CMdeux:
Maybe.  I'm not sure that the answer is a clear yes/no.

I suppose that it is POSSIBLE... but on the other hand:

a) I know of no reason why shellfish would be involved in rice production, harvesting, or packaging, and
b) I have never encountered a plain rice which has given me a problem.

Now, I fully concede that it's possible that I'm allergic to an atypical crustacean protein or something like that, which would make this particular set of anecdata useless...  so.

jschwab:

--- Quote from: CMdeux on November 18, 2013, 03:02:19 PM ---Maybe.  I'm not sure that the answer is a clear yes/no.

I suppose that it is POSSIBLE... but on the other hand:

a) I know of no reason why shellfish would be involved in rice production, harvesting, or packaging, and
b) I have never encountered a plain rice which has given me a problem.

Now, I fully concede that it's possible that I'm allergic to an atypical crustacean protein or something like that, which would make this particular set of anecdata useless...  so.

--- End quote ---

My impression has been that you are a lot more sensitized than me, so I will go with your gut (and skin and airways) and assume rice is clean of shellfish. I had gastro and skin reactions to pills containing rice and brown rice syrup in canned foods, so it's something, but I never figured out what. It seemed related to protein since brown rice always gave me a lot more trouble but I do not think of the reactions I had as particularly classically food allergy. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version