FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Watermelon allergy - itching ear canals?  (Read 11161 times)

Description:

Zeke

Watermelon allergy - itching ear canals?
« on: July 21, 2013, 12:35:15 PM »
Has anyone ever hear or experienced this?

Usually after eating watermelon (or sometimes even grapes), my ear canals will feel somewhat blocked and very itchy. This usually starts occurring within 5-10 minutes after eating and lasts for about 10-15.

Would there be anything specific that is causing this?

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Watermelon allergy - itching ear canals?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 01:30:54 PM »
Let me guess-- you have a WICKED ragweed allergy, right?

The timing suggests that it's likely to be IgE-mediated somehow.  (Meaning it's allergy related somehow.)

It's sounds like classic oral allergy syndrome.  This is where your immune system mistakes a food for a pollen, basically.  It's usually not dangerous, but can be really aggravating to live with, as you know doubt are all too aware. 

Melons are a relatively common OAS offender, and a quite rare primary allergy.  This would be even more highly indicated if this is more severe (or maybe only a problem) at some times of the year-- for ragweed that would be late summer into fall in most places.

My first spouse, though, had a true anaphylactic allergy to watermelon, so it can happen.  Good idea to talk to your doc about it to be on the safe side.  :)
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 05:17:54 PM »
I have this problem with melons too (though in the past few years I can eat watermelon and honeydew as long as I'm on Claritin), as well as several other fruits and veggies (especially carrots, apples, stone fruits, bananas and kiwi).  I can eat them cooked though.  But I'm guessing cooked watermelon isn't too tempting to you, is it?  ;)

However, like CM's DH, I've had severe reactions to cantaloupe.   I've never been tested, but the severity of my symptoms led my allergist to determine that cantaloupe is a true allergen for me, not OAS. 

While OAS rarely causes symptoms that are more than a nuisance, a small % of people can end up having serious reactions, so check with your allergist.

And feel better!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline MaryM

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 06:09:03 PM »
DD had what I thought was OAS, but skin tests to watermelon came back positive.  Last time she had it she kept clearing her throat.  Benadryl fixed that.