Northern Alabama

Started by spacecanada, August 01, 2013, 11:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spacecanada

We're vacationing in Northern Alabama in a couple of weeks.  We are from Canada and I am wondering which chains or big restaurants in that area will be able to accommodate multiple food allergies and special diets.  We are dealing with peanut allergy, tree nut allergy, dairy intolerance, and vegetarian/vegan. 

Unfortunately, we won't have access to a kitchen.  We will be bringing lots of our own food and making wraps and sandwiches from stuff we can find at the local supermarket.  On that note, are there any bread companies we can trust for labelling with shared facilities?  The tree nut allergy is extremely sensitive to cross contamination from shared facilities and lines. 

What are the names of the supermarkets in that region?  Last time we went to America we didn't realise there was a supermarket across the street from our hotel and drove 15 minutes to a Walmart.

We will be at an event for most of the trip that will cater to allergies, but there will be a few meals we have to eat out. 

Thank you in advance for your help!
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Macabre

Without a town it would be difficult specific restaurants for you.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

spacecanada

We will be spending most of our time in Huntsville, Alabama

Macabre

Here are some things to consider. I do not deal with dairy, but we are PA, avoid TN in restaurants and vegetarian (DS is---and not vegan)

PF Changs--typically has extremely good food allergy management but call first--depends on the manage whether I feel comfy. They have specific allergy menus for each allergen (even sesame) and use a new wok

Call first:
Mellow Mushroom (vegan, vegetarian--I have not gone there).
Cantina Laredo--this used to be safe for us, but we have t eaten there for several years. Don't know about dairy. Amazing guacamole.
Red Robin Hamburgers --they have good allergy menus
Outback Steakhouse
Moe's Southwest Grill---Safe for PA/TNA. They do vegetarian well (grilled tofu). The only problem is dairy--I think there is a high risk for it. But they change gloves upon request. I don't know if the tortillas are dairy free.
Chipotle --safe for PA/TNA. One (or both?) of their bean offerings is vegetarian. Grilled veggies served in giant burritos or bowls. Concern is dairy Xcontamination from adjacent cheese and sour cream bins.  I don't know if their tortillas are dairy free.
Krispy Kreme donuts!  Don't know about milk.

We've also gone to:
Macaroni Grill
Olive Garden

Do not go to:
Five Guys Burgers
Panera
smoothie King
Logan's Roadhouse, Any steakhouse with the word Texas or Longhorn may have or it's in the floor)
We do not go to Subway.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

AllergicToFood

Hi! I live in Huntsville, AL and I have multiple food allergies.  The list above is pretty good actually, with the exception of Olive Garden.  Outback is great, Mellow Mushroom, Cantina Laredo, Lime (vegan/organic), PF Changs.  Olive Garden brought out 5 of my allergens after the waiter, manager and cook all assured me that everything was safe.  Later they admitted that everything comes out of a box and they didn't have the box, so they really had no idea what the ingredients were.  Ruby Tuesday is horrible as well.  If you want to order into your hotel room, order steak out.  They will cook on foil with clean utensils.  I have a hard time eating out, so I feel your pain!  Stick to places that have a chef if possible.  The only safe bread I've found ANYWHERE is Sister Schubert's Mini Loaves in the frozen section of Publix.  I've been poisoned by every bakery and doughnut shop in town.  There are 2 good grocery stores besides Publix, which I also love, but if you're looking for something similar to Whole Foods, go to Earth Fare for the best selection, or Fresh Market.  It's small, but good for a quick stop if you're on that end of town. I hope this helps!  Oh, Longhorn Steakhouse will also cook on foil, add "normal" spices like garlic powder, olive oil, S&P, or let you bring in your own ingredients. They are great there, very careful. 

I always call ahead and talk to a manager, talk to them and give them a printed list when I arrive, and then also speak with the cook if possible.  Good luck to you!!!  I hope you have a fun trip!  Stacy

Allergic to soy, tree nuts, peanuts, celery, cilantro, carrots, parsley, annato, MSG, cellulose, carrageenan, datem.   

AllergicToFood

One more thing that I wish I knew before, a lot of people that are allergic to nuts are also sensitive or allergic to annato.  It's used as coloring in cheese and pretty much anything yellow.  So glad I finally figured that one out! I thought I was allergic to dairy until I figured out that it was the carrageenan and annato, not the dairy.  It's pretty easy to avoid, just buy block white cheese and certain brands of milk and butter, Land-O-Lakes, Horizon (white milk only).  Anyway, just a tidbit that I thought you might be interested in.  If you need any advice or help while you're in Huntsville, I'll be happy to help.   

spacecanada

Thanks for the tips.  We are scheduled to dine at a German restaurant and I will be calling them closer to when we leave to see if they can make something safe. 

Otherwise, I will check out these places and see if any of them will be close to our accommodations.  Thank you!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview