So you know that advice about delaying allergenic foods? Maybe... not.

Started by CMdeux, September 16, 2013, 08:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CMdeux

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

starlight

I thought part of the reason doctors recommended the delay, at least for nuts, was because of the choking risk. And the chance if they do react, they can't say, 'hey mom, my mouth itches.'  :-/

SilverLining

I have never believed in delaying introduction of allergens.

I had to with my youngest because he vomited a lot, and that was risky for me to clean up.

When my youngest grandson was born, everyone was surprised when I did not tell nursing mom "don't eat this or that" and I ask what new foods he's tried, but never in an allergy kind of way...well other then, when they mention a food like dairy or fish, I say "yay, he's not allergic to that".

Janelle205

I should send this article to my Mom, who has decided that my soy allergy is all her fault because she switched me to soy formula when the doctor told her to.

YouKnowWho

DS2 was born in that you should delay allergens.  And at the time, we thought DS1 was allergic to peanuts and tree nuts.  So we did.  And as of now, DS2 has been diagnosed (should have never been tested imo but that is neither here nor there) but has never had a reaction.  Though his numbers are high enough that our dr won't challenge (remind me to call again about the Uknow, ugh).

I do wonder and shoot me for saying it - is it that we are delaying all foods in general until later in life.  I grew up with pablum in the bottle at 10 days of age.  I know, leaky gut.  But I see a coorelation between the increased allergens and the later introduction of foods in general.  And obviously, earlier introduction may not have worked for DS1, who just may be my kid in regards to food allergies.  But I know I was the rare one in school with food allergies whereas DS1 and DS2 are no longer that rare...
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview