Perkins

Started by Macabre, August 11, 2013, 02:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macabre

I don't see a thread on this restaurant. We've avoided going to date, but DS is with some friends from church who are going later today after another activity.

I see they have a peanut butter pie. (That sounds so incredibly yucky to me.)

Does anyone know how this restaurant is for allergies in general and how they are with peanut allergies in particular?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

GingerPye

We've gone several times in the past because my folks like to eat there.  We've been able to get meals for the kids, although there is not a lot of choice for my allergic kids. 
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

candyguru

I do eat at Perkins occasionally (Toronto, Niagara Falls, New York state, Pennsylvania).  I do not eat the desserts. I do notify the server I have a peanut allergy.

I have eaten the waffles and pancakes numerous times, most recently having a waffle in the Grove City PA Perkins in early August, and prior to that twice in Niagara Falls in June.  If you are concerned about tree nuts, please note they currently have a pancake special offer with nut pancakes (I believe it is almond)

My kids do not eat at most restaurants due to MFA (between the two of them: wheat, eggs, milk, peanut, tree nut, sesame, legumes)
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Macabre

Well, he survived but had a bad experience. Here's what he texted us (I'm changing a few things. Please DNQ):

So, we were at Perkins and we had a kind of rude waitress. When I asked if they had any nut-free and vegetarian options she said, "Are you serious?" with a smirk. I said "Yes, actually, I am" back. She wasn't too helpful with that. I eventually just did a half stack of pancakes because they could do them in a pan, but as she left she asked "Why are you the only boy here?" How do you respond to that??

Ugh. He tipped accordingly and wrote her a note explaining why.

We'd been avoid going there precisely because the choices for our allergies and especially vegetarian choices seemed bleak. I may call the manager. 

candyguru

Sorry to hear he had that bad experience  :-[  Rude and unhelpful staff can definitely ruin an evening.   We've had friendly staff but it's the luck of the draw who your server is.
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

twinturbo

Don't go back as long as she's there. Yes, you're in the right but I'd trust her about as far as I could throw her.

nameless

...yeah...that right there is one of the reasons to ask straight away for the manager. Never ever (ever) trust a server. Some are fabulous and very competent...some, are not. No way to know. When the rest of my group is being seated I hang out by the hostess and ask for the manager. We'll go through the menu, usually there's a trip to the kitchen when the manager talks to the chef, then comes back out - gets my table number and I know what I can order. Then with the server --- I reference the manager, saying he/she has to go show the order to the manager so they know it's the allergy girl...

It sucks, and can be embarrassing --- but like, it's what I do now and have learned to do from my own lessons and lessons of others.  I will say the few places here I go to (small town) now they know me, it's kinda funny. But I know what the kitchens say/do so it's easier.

Manager...especially in a new-to-you restaurant.

OH - and I'm not lecturing YOU Mac...I'm lecturin' yer' boy!  (Pass on the message!)

:D Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Macabre

As a family, our first approach is often waitstaff and if there is any question, the manager. Or, you know, we leave.

But when he is with friends and likely doesn't want to deal that much with this stuff at the table in front of them, I think your tack would work best. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview