login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Restaurants  (Read 1900 times)

Description: Misleading menu's

Offline kcw

Restaurants
« on: August 14, 2013, 10:12:53 AM »
My next task, after tackling our school system and was a success, is to target restaurants with misleading menus.  I'm sure you know the type..."Allergen Information" with disclaimers.  After talking with a corporate individual with Applebee's that resulted from a letter I sent to the President and the CEO of the parent company, I am now even more frustrated with what the restaurant industry does...or I guess in this case doesn't do.  I was told they conduct training, but at the same time told that an order from the the "Allergen Information" menu is treated no differently than any other order once taken to the kitchen.  He said that the menu we ordered from was not an 'allergy-free menu' but only information used for the consumer to make a good decision. We had a reaction there, and a biphasic anaphylactic reaction the next morning.  Our 9 year old self-administered his Epi's at Applebee's as he was eating with his grandparents and we were out of town.  Although the call lasted 40 minutes or so, and concern was shown, there weren't any take away action items from the call.  I will follow up with another call next week to see what exactly their plan is to improve their plans when dealing with FA consumers.  Anybody else want to jump on board and have experienced similar things at this restaurant, or others, feel free to reply.