Fruit flavored candies (Skittles, Gummy Bears, Air Heads, etc.)

Started by manikaye, May 15, 2013, 04:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manikaye

Hi there guys!

I have an appointment to get tested for food allergies, but haven't gotten tested yet. Trying to play it safe! My bottom lip swelled when sucking on a Jordan Almond. It had never happened before, and the swelling disappeared after about fifteen minutes with no medication.

I've tried to stay away from anything that could be a possible trigger until I get tested. A few people have told me they think I may have Oral Allergy Syndrome, so I've been trying to stay away from some fruits as well. (Sadness, I'm a huge fruit fan :( ).

My question is, is it okay to eat fruit flavored candies with OAS? Something like Skittles or Starburst or Airheads? Or even fruit snacks? (Or something like pop tarts - I've been avoiding EVERYTHING, ugh!)

Thanks guys! Heading to the movies tonight and I'd like to have some candy risk free :)

Amanda

maeve

My daughter has OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber and has no problem with Skittles, Starburst, or Airheads.  She hasn't had problems with fruit snacks and the few Pop Tarts she's had.  However, she rarely has fruit snacks or Pop Tarts.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

hezzier

EmilyAnn

I have OAS (peaches, apricots, bananas, almonds, and a few other things) and the only candy that bothers me is anything with artificial orange flavoring. I'm not sure if it the color or the flavor or if it is even related to all of the other things, but orange candy and canned chocolate frosting make me feel like my mouth is burning and itching
Mommy to David age 5 1/2 allergic to cats, dogs, pollen, dust, mold, peanuts, tree nuts, beans, and peas and suffering from severe eczema and 3 other little boys with no know allergies

Macabre

You could have an allergy to almonds or OAS to almonds, but that would not in any way mean you have OAS to fruit. The only possible concern would be fruit in the same food family as almonds, and even then it's not a certainty.

I don't think you have any reason to avoid fruit. Almonds--yes (until you can talk with a board certified allergist).  Fruit--no.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Macabre

And as you can see, people who have OAS to fruit don't have it to all fruit. It's very particular and you have to worry more about fruit within a food family.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Momothree

My daughter goes into anaphylactic shock from airheads.  She has a sensitivity to soy, but can tolerate it.  The doc doesn't know what ingredient is causing the issue - she is allergic to tree nuts and raspberries, neither are in ingredient statement

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview