FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Shampoo for pn/tn allergy?  (Read 13610 times)

Description:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Shampoo for pn/tn allergy?
« on: August 26, 2013, 06:04:46 PM »
What do you use?

and-- Why do you like it?

Everyone in my household has reasonably oily hair, and all of us have multiple allergies and a lot of trouble with shampoos/hair products as a general rule.

So we all use something different.

DD is PA/TNA, egg, and aloe-allergic--  She uses Suave Peppermint shampoo, which comes in a black bottle (I think it's actally branded "for men" or something), and she uses VO-5 vanilla-mint-tea conditioner (which does contain coconut).

My DH is walnut and soy-allergic-- he uses Suave Apple scented shampoo and no conditioner.

I am SFA (and have a lot of topical/contact allergy issues, plus a sensitive sniffer and some asthma-- scent is a BIG deal for me):

I use Suave Daily Clean-- Ocean Charge shampoo (NOT the two-in-one, though sometimes I will wash once with the shampoo and once with the two-in-one).  I also use both the shampoo and conditioner in the Suave rosemary and mint shampoo line, though be careful because they do make one that has almond and shea in a bottle the same light green color.

Why I like Suave-- FULL ingredient labels.  This is awesome.  They also have relatively cheap feedstocks, so nut proteins and oils aren't super popular (though, as noted, someone with VERY high sensitivity to almond could have trouble, I suppose).

My DD and DH also like the VO-5 line for some of the same reasons-- I just have trouble with their stuff for some reason-- the kiwi shampoo is WAY too drying, and the non-drying ones don't get my scalp clean enough.

What do others like?

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Shampoo for pn/tn allergy?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 06:13:53 PM »
Me--SFA, sesame, chamomile (the biggest offender typically in Beaty products and it is a BIG TIME offender, sage. I SPT + to peanut and have reaction hx. BUT I'm not positive I'm PA.

I use Burt's Bees pomegranate shampoo and conditioner.  It is sulfate free, and sulfate a are thought to contribute to perioral dermatitis, which I have from time to time. It has a very mild scent and I am very sensitive to perfumes. 

I do fine with the Feria conditioner when coloring my hair (doing that as I type actually).

DS--peanut--Garnier Fructis 2 in 1. He will use hotel shampoos unless they are made by Bath & Body (at one point around 10 years ago they contained peanut oil. Don't know about now.)
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 09:44:26 AM »
In general, I like to buy shampoo about the way that I do any other bath/beauty product--

full label of ingredients

WIDE availability-- so that I don't have to mail-order or get it from that ONE store all the way across town

In person so that I can give it the sniff-test

Western U.S.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 10:53:25 AM »
I'm not sensitive to shampoos unless they contain tea tree oil - then my scalp blisters horribly!  I also avoid any with peanut ingredients though I haven't seen any for a while (except the Infusium leave-in treatment).  Since I have a very dry scalp and relatively dry hair, I've found the Head & Shoulders 2 in 1 (with the pink swirl on the label) seems to work well for me.  It controls the flakes without leaving my hair too dry.  I tend to get acne on my neck/back/shoulders if I use a separate conditioner even when I'm careful to thoroughly rinse my skin, so I don't use conditioner unless I need my hair to look really good that day.  Normally my hair is pretty dry/frizzy for the first day-and-a-half after I wash it and looks best on day 3.  I can usually make it to day 5 before it needs to be washed.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 02:27:42 PM »
I could have sworn I read that some Herbal Essences shampoos had peanut or some kind of nut ingredients. It's been a while though. I automatically pass right over those in the store, just from habit.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 04:46:38 PM »
Baby shampoo.  Still.

It's a quick go-to.

Absolutely avoid if nut allergic:  Aveda products.  While lovely, lots of nuts.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline candyguru

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 06:14:50 PM »
My wife and I use Garnier Fructis shampoo. I am peanut allergic.

My 6 year old daughter uses Garnier Fructis conditioner. She is peanut, but, wheat, egg, lentil/legume, sesame allergic.

We have never had any problems with Garnier Fructis shampoo and conditioner.
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline candyguru

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 06:16:21 PM »
My wife and I use Garnier Fructis shampoo. I am peanut allergic.

My 6 year old daughter uses Garnier Fructis conditioner. She is peanut, but, wheat, egg, lentil/legume, sesame allergic.

We have never had any problems with Garnier Fructis shampoo and conditioner.

But allergic, not but allergic.

We like Fructis as it works well.
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 06:17:18 PM »
I'm guessing that is nut allergic.

ROFL-- but I'm enjoying the autocorrect fail, there.

Western U.S.

Offline nameless

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 07:32:55 PM »
If I'm remembering correctly --- Trader Joes citrus line of body wash, shampoo, and conditioner are pn/tn free.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline candyguru

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 07:46:45 PM »
I'm guessing that is nut allergic.

ROFL-- but I'm enjoying the autocorrect fail, there.

yes, my Google Nexus tablet keeps auto correcting "nut" to "but"    :evil:  haha

Anyway, I gave up and am using my laptop PC now (which does not have auto correct) so I can actually type the word nut.  LOL

Offline krasota

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 09:09:28 PM »
I use AFM SafeChoice.  The Shampoo/body wash, not the carpet cleaner.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 11:27:37 PM »
:rofl:
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 07:34:51 AM »
Dd has never had a problem with a hair product but for once, when a hair dresser sprayed "water" on her hair to trim it.  Turns out she had added a bit of a Biolage conditioner to the water, and it had sweet almond oil in it.  All I know is dd was sneezing, sniffling and itching her nose and face for hours.  But that was the extent of the reaction. 

We generally check the labels.  Dd usually used Head and Shoulders product, but yesterday, she chose either a Suave or Vo5 shanmpoo with a matching conditioner.  We liked the full labeling.  I have always just gone by the label on such products, and dd has been fine.  She is fine with hotel products too. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 10:14:47 AM »
I find more issues in the health food store shampoos and conditioners.  Nuts and gluten problems.

Wen is not a safe choice for nuts.

I actually have a bigger issue finding gluten in shampoos and conditioners than nuts. 
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA