Malia Obama has a Peanut Allergy

Started by Macabre, November 14, 2013, 08:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macabre

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/11/13/obama-reveals-daughter-malias-peanut-allergy-at-bill-signing/

Washington (CNN) — President Barack Obama on Wednesday signed a bill that, it turns out, hits close to home.

H.R. 2094, the School Access to Emergency Epinephrine Act, was passed with bipartisan support to help students with food allergies, including oldest daughter Malia.

"This is something that will save children's lives," the President said at the signing. "Some people may know that Malia actually has a peanut allergy. She doesn't have asthma, but obviously making sure that EpiPens are available in case of emergency in schools is something that every parent can understand."
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

GoingNuts

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

CMdeux

Wow-- completely did not know that.  I guess I wouldn't broadcast it either, if I were in their shoes.  I'm pretty careful who we tell, in fact. 

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

SilverLining

I remember people wondering about a possible food allergy when they got their first dog.  Isn't a breed often trained as a sniffer?

CMdeux

Western U.S.

TabiCat

I think their were several of us who have speculated at times that there might be a food allergy in the family.

Like CM I would be hesitant to make that public knowledge if I were a public figure. Especially a president too many crazies in the world.
Ds - Peanut and Tree nut and a  host of enviro

Texas

Macabre

More! 

The Patron Saint of Peanut Allergies:
Malia Obama, could you have a word with your dad?

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2013/11/malia_obama_peanut_allergy_epipen_bill_for_schools_and_asthma.html?wpisrc=newsletter_jcr:content

MEDICAL EXAMINER
HEALTH AND MEDICINE EXPLAINED.
NOV. 14 2013 11:51 AM
The Patron Saint of Peanut Allergies
Malia Obama, could you have a word with your dad?

By John Kruzel

President Obama walks with daughter Malia, who has a bedeviling immune system malfunction that plagues millions worldwide.
Photo illustration by Slate. Photo by Mandel Ngan/AFP/Getty Images

President Barack Obama signed a bill this week that encourages schools to be prepared to administer life-saving doses of epinephrine to students in the throes of severe allergic reactions. In this case, the personal was political for the first family. As Obama revealed at the signing ceremony, his older daughter suffers from a peanut allergy. So do I. Malia, if you're reading this, kindly deliver this message to your dad: Please seize this opportunity to make the peanut allergy your new archenemy.

"Some people may know that Malia actually has a peanut allergy," the president said, according to CNN. "Obviously making sure that EpiPens are available in case of emergency in schools is something that every parent can understand." Kudos, Mr. President, on a great first step. But given that an estimated 8 percent of American kids have food allergies, I can't be alone in wishing yesterday will be merely a preview to the main event. If you really want to help your daughter, invest some serious political capital and funding into finding a cure for this bedeviling immune system malfunction that plagues Malia, me, and millions of others worldwide.

An allergy-triggered asthma attack feels like breathing through meat.
Yesterday's legislative enactment was heartening, to be sure. H.R. 2094, also known as the School Access to Emergency Epinephrine Act, sailed through both chambers of Congress with bipartisan support. Under the new law, states that find the sweet spot of school training procedures and tort reform will cut in line ahead of nonqualifying states vying for a share of money the federal government has set aside for asthma-related grants (allergies and asthma often coincide).

(Continued in link)

Macabre

Yes, I remember our conjecture about one of the girls having a food allergy when the Obamas got their dog.

:)

Macabre

This makes you wonder all kinds if things. Do they see Dr Wood and does be come to the WH?  How do they handle this at restaurants and how has it not gotten out?  How do they handle it when traveling to other countries?  Is their dog actually a sniffer and did they get it from our friend here. :D (not that I would expect to know--confidentiality is critical obviously).

CMdeux

I will say this-- in every instance in which they have spent time here (and they have-- well, Michelle and both girls have)-- as far as I know, they did NO restaurant dining. 

Her uncle is occasionally spotted around and about town, so I'm thinking that her allergy could definitely be a part of the reason why.  Of course, secret service detail and vacation/low-profile is the other big reason.  Still.

Western U.S.

maeve

Quote from: Macabre on November 14, 2013, 05:21:04 PM
This makes you wonder all kinds if things. Do they see Dr Wood and does be come to the WH?  How do they handle this at restaurants and how has it not gotten out?  How do they handle it when traveling to other countries?  Is their dog actually a sniffer and did they get it from our friend here. :D (not that I would expect to know--confidentiality is critical obviously).

Malia has also gone to sleepaway camp the past couple of summers. I'm not sure who they see but one of Dr. Wood's fellows is now head of pediatric allergy at Children's (Dr. Sharma, who writes in Allergic Living). DD saw Dr. Sharma on her first visit to Dr. Wood, and he's very good.

As for the dogs, the first was a gift from Ted Kennedy (it's unlikely Bo is a sniffer dog) and the second came from a breeder in Michigan.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/08/secret-history-of-sunny-obama.html
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

maeve

Actually, President and Mrs. Obama have frequented quite a few DC area restaurants and Malia has been photographed at basketball games at the Verizon Center. They have also had custard at Dairy Godmother in Alexandria.  This sort of thing is reported more regularly in the local news here in the DC area.

USA-Virginia

maeve

USA-Virginia

momma2boys

When I told ds, he said "cool, does this mean Obama banned peanuts?  Because that would be awesome!"
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview