Documentary: An Emerging Epidemic: Food Allergies in America

Started by Macabre, September 06, 2013, 04:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twinturbo

One thought rolling around my peabrain is that FARE's most recent hire is an actual, literal lobbyist (finally). The agenda on FARE's part may be using this as a fundraising/lobbying tool.

tigerlily

I just finished watching. The awareness component was big which I liked. Presented many voices of LTFA: child on ECMO treated by ER physician with a PTA son, mom who blogs about LTFA for her two sons, child in a OIT Phase I study, and some regular teenage kids with LTFA all gave a voice to living with food allergies. Not one voice for 52-min going about a single reaction--but a montage of stories about living the day to day with LTFA.

I think it would be a great tool for someone who needs a slight adjustment to perspective. The neighbor or grandparent who doesn't quite get it. The 50+ min length is going to make it *tough* to be required viewing.

I really liked the "he's a normal kid who has food allergies. We don't let it define him." Or the mom whose son made national championships in crew--she decided she wasn't going to let food allergies stop him from what he wanted to do. Sort of one of those things DH and I have said.

The awareness component is big. A strong voice for inclusion.

Edited to add "tough" to be required viewing.
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

GoingNuts

Just finished watching - here's my review:

Yes, it looked like a FARE infomercial.  The Mylan influence was more subtle, since they never specifically mentioned "EPipen", but rather epi auto-injector.

Yes, for the most part they were preaching to the choir, and no, I did not learn anything I didn't already know.

But...

My DH who 1) Generally has no interest in anything health-related and leaves all the allergy stuff to me and 2) is extremely cynical wrt to paid media influences, etc., couldn't tear himself away.  He wasn't even reading email, or multitasking in any way during our viewing, and had lots of questions that he was asking me.

So, in summary...

If it reaches:
    -  One person who needed a reality check about the potential severity of theirs, or their children's allergies,
    -  One person who now realizes that they should carry Epi,
    -  One person who will be more careful about what they send their own non-FA kiddo to school with

Then I'll take it.  Infomercial or not.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Stinky10

nonuteen - I agree with what you said. 

there were no commercials in it - it was a commercial, but I think it had a lot of good information. It covered a lot of ground.

Spanking cats for 40 years!

GoingNuts

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

nonuteen

Quote from: GoingNuts on September 08, 2013, 09:31:14 PM
Steve Carrell has a child with FA's.

yes, a dairy allergy??  But did you happen to watch and see the resemblance between Steve Carrell and Max's dad from the first story?  I'm sure it is coincidental, just something I noticed and wondered if they were related also.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview