School Stocked Epi Used for Undiagnosed Wasp Allergy

Started by Macabre, September 12, 2013, 09:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macabre

http://www.wate.com/story/23363697/tellico-plains-school-nurse-saves-student-with

An elementary aged Tennesee boy experienced anaphylaxis after getting stung by a wasp at school. The school nurse saved him with an epipen she had on hand.

Nice ending!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

CMdeux

That is a great ending!!

I'm so happy that epinephrine is finally be treated like the AED's that are everywhere now.  :)
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

joanna5

That is a fabulous story.  Every parent- regardless of their children's allergy status- should be asking if their school has stock Epis. Ours does, but there are still schools that do not.
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

YouKnowWho

I begged since the law passed in our state.  However they made it up to the individual counties to supply them.  My county refused to do it.

While that is an awesome story of why it's needed, there are so many people entering the school in my county under the false assumption that there will be stock epinephrine when that is not the case. 

And yes - school nurse had been told by me and several other parents, use our children's epinephrine if needed (between the boys they had four of them and it would be some stroke of cosmic unluckiness that both of them would need epi's at the same time).
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

hezzier

Our law is also voluntary and since we don't have a district physician, it's not going to happen.  I tried last year, but our allergist said no.  Then I tried to get a friend's husband to do it, but it was like playing the game telephone and the message that I wanted him to prescribe the epis just didn't get through.  I even offered to pay for the prescriptions for our school.

I told the nurse the same thing...to use our epis if she needed to.

I forgot to ask our family doctor if he would do it.  DD has an appt tomorrow, maybe I'll ask him then. 

twinturbo

Great idea faulty on the execution or just a momentum thing? I can't imagine why any school wouldn't want to stock it.

Macabre

I wasn't sure where to our this. It's not a happy ending. :'(

It was fire ants in South Texas. I have heard tales of this happening to men mowing the lawn. I assume it is allergy and not another mechanism, but I could be wrong.

http://www.kiiitv.com/story/23441138/8th-grader-dies-after-severe-allergic-reactionto-ant-bites?clienttype=generic&smartdevicecgbypass
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview