Potting soil--what brand do you use? I know it can have peanut shells.

Started by lakeswimr, September 24, 2013, 06:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lakeswimr

Are there other potential allergens sometimes in potting solids besides peanuts?  Anyone have a brand that they know to be peanut and nut-free?  Thanks!

twinturbo

My recent search potting soil.

I hear you on the egg and dairy, though. To my knowledge Black Gold is the best bet. See link.

Jessica

USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

twinturbo

For DS1's class I'm using the organic complete soil or whatever it's called from Fafard because in both sources it reads okay. But to buy the Black Gold I'm going locally because I have to use the manufacturing stamps Sun Gro gave me. Keep in mind though I have to freak out about wheat/barley, milk and egg as well as peanut and tree nuts so moss and "forest products" is about as good as I'm going to get for that load of allergy fun.

lol @"forest products". Squirrel poo? Antlers?

twinturbo

Updating the potting soil saga. I did find Black Gold locally the label on bag read exactly as the 2014 catalog with the extra bonus that it was stocked in its dedicated pile. As soon as I clear about 675 other things off my to-do list I plan to replace my gardening boxes with all Black Gold soil. I will take pictures of the label verifying facility stamp at the top seal of the bag. That may be of limited value to people in differing regions but it's more for full disclosure of info than signing off on it wholesale.

While I was probing the Black Gold supply I ran across a product of 100% cocoa shells as a decorative mulch. Of course if you have canines you'll literally be screwing your pooch as it contains a higher amount of theobromine in concentrate than what we normally eat as chocolate. Where this isn't a concern it could be a nice decorative, fragrant mulch.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview