Teacher sent home candy w/PA 5th grader (update - food free room now!)

Started by Stinky10, September 13, 2013, 10:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CMdeux

Quote from: Macabre on September 14, 2013, 10:15:29 AM
Oh goodness, now you are just making all of us lust after this teacher.

No doubt.

LOL about your DS and tomatoes-- my DD feels the same way about them...

Welllllll... let me think about it.  I don't suppose that I could get you to throw in a few iTunes cards WITH the iPhone, could I?  No?   What about a cash bonus if I eat it in one really big bite, then?   (She'd probably just try to swallow it whole to avoid chewing it-- she hates tomatoes)  ;D

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

yelloww

TT makes a very good point. This teacher likely isn't versed in privacy for medical issues.....

Generally speaking, most teachers have policies where they won't eat homemade goods. I NEVER EVER eat something that a kid brings in or makes in home ec. No way. That's a food borne illness waiting to happen.

Beyond FA's, if the teacher won't eat it himself/herself, then it shouldn't enter the room. No matter what it is.

Stinky10

Quote from: twinturbo on September 14, 2013, 10:33:59 AM
Question: How did the parent know to bring two tomatoes and that there should be a cookie alternative in the first place? New school, FERPA, etc.

The teacher on the first day announced that there were children with food allergies and not to bring anything with nuts into the room.  He asked my DS prior to this, if he could identify him,  in our meeting if my son was comfortable with this, he gave him alternatives as well.  My son was fine with it and introduced himself, his allergy and told the children how they can help keep him safe.   

There is another girl with multiple food allergies and she did the same.
Spanking cats for 40 years!

Stinky10

My son is fine with everyone knowing he has a food allergy but NOT fine with them knowing that he's 9.  :)

I said "what if you have a bday party this year and we invite them?"  He said "yay I'm 11"

But yes the teacher is not well versed in any of this.  He comes from a larger metro district - I'm in a large suburb of that district and I think parents in my area have been much more active and are more able to be active.  The larger city has a much more challenged public school system.  I've heard through a FB group that this teacher is good and that he is good with food allergy safety - I think this is the first time anyone has raised the issue of inclusion. 

I know that I shouldn't have to pay $$$ for alternate treats too -  and I know in his last school they would have known that and tried to stop me - pretty sure they did that once.   I also don't want to tell the teacher that b/c I feel that he's a bit overwhelmed with it all.   I'll let him know later that it's touchy.

Any ideas on that?   I don't want to buy cheap crap that gets thrown out....I want cheap cool stuff!  I like those crack open geods - might be able to get those in bulk.   pencils, erasers, are fine....but I want him to have a cool non-food treat box. 

Stinky10

CM - I just asked DS about eating the tomato.  After a bit of clarification he WOULD eat a tomato the size of a baseball for iphone.   LOL  #stillnotgonnahappen

LinksEtc

Quote from: Stinky10 on September 14, 2013, 10:36:07 AM
I've had to seriously adjust my tone in emails....trying to be so careful not to have "tone".   :)  Which is hard for me...I have tone in my sleep.  :)

lol

-----------

That tomato story is unbelievable ...  :insane:

Whenever I think of FA exclusion, I'm afraid a picture of those tomatoes will always forever hence pop in my mind!

twinturbo

With the teacher admitting this is new ground for him on non-food treats to remove exclusion it may be worth explicitly setting some boundaries for him on what he is, and is not, able to discuss with other parents once the new policy kicks in. Considering he is still held to FERPA and a 504 is ensuing it would be fair to him to give him an idea what you consider fair game as open knowledge wrt to protected info so he knows where the boundary lies.

Macabre

Okay, when I used the word "lust" above, I had no idea that this teacher is actually male.

Just saying.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Stinky10

Quote from: twinturbo on September 14, 2013, 10:59:28 AM
With the teacher admitting this is new ground for him on non-food treats to remove exclusion it may be worth explicitly setting some boundaries for him on what he is, and is not, able to discuss with other parents once the new policy kicks in. Considering he is still held to FERPA and a 504 is ensuing it would be fair to him to give him an idea what you consider fair game as open knowledge wrt to protected info so he knows where the boundary lies.

You know, I'm not well versed in FERPA - I have the general idea.   I'll bring it up in the meeting and let the principal and/or nurse address it.   If they can.   

Stinky10

Quote from: Macabre on September 14, 2013, 11:00:34 AM
Okay, when I used the word "lust" above, I had no idea that this teacher is actually male.

Just saying.

In time I will email you a picture......  :heart: :P

twinturbo

What I mean is normally a medical issue is private. You've waived that privacy initially. No judgment from me (I hope that comes through), however if the 504 designation and accommodations are for FA and you've waived at least initial privacy protection if you have any desire for the teacher to not discuss any part of the 504 accommodations openly with other parents in the class he would need to know that explicitly. He sounds like a well intentioned guy who wants to do the job so it's entirely possible his understanding is any part of any FA is fair game for other parents to know.

For instance when a treat is turned away at the door he may say it's because of [name]'s accommodation. Or send parents to you directly to about food.

I don't know what accommodations you'll forge and where your boundaries are about negotiating directly with other parents about food but the teacher at this point only knows that it's thus far an open knowledge policy. *If* any other part of it is off limits for him to discuss openly he most likely will need a hard boundary.

Stinky10

Great points TT.

We've always been open about the allergy, for many reasons and I have had to "nego" food things with other parents.   My community is fairly open to that and very concerned with inclusion (for all things) and such, so it's been mostly very easy.  So it's more about "what can we do together to make this work for everyone".   I've never had to deal with an aggressive parent - and when I've been too busy I just tell the teacher.....here is the bottom line - here is what I'll accept - here is how we'll handle it - but I need you to deal with it.

I am on new ground now, in a new school - same district though. 

I gave the teacher copies of previous letters home that said no food for parties and it was NOT just specific to allergies...other medical issues, economic issues, etc.

I'll make sure to address this with him - I don't mind negotiating with the room moms but I don't want a white hot spotlight on us either.  Although....we could handle it.   :yes:

and he should be made aware if he's not already....

twinturbo

We're in parochial school which open as well but I think for teacher's sake... when you take public dollars you're never 'off duty'.

(wife of public university prof here)

Anyhow, best wishes for a great year and  :crossed:.

Stinky10

yes...I just edited to add that
I would however like the principal and nurse to address that.....not me

Stinky10

Quote from: yelloww on September 14, 2013, 10:38:24 AM
TT makes a very good point. This teacher likely isn't versed in privacy for medical issues.....

Generally speaking, most teachers have policies where they won't eat homemade goods. I NEVER EVER eat something that a kid brings in or makes in home ec. No way. That's a food borne illness waiting to happen.

Beyond FA's, if the teacher won't eat it himself/herself, then it shouldn't enter the room. No matter what it is.

Funny Yellow....at old school - same district we (PTSA)  did Potluck lunch for the teachers every month.   Well...maybe skipped a few....each grade took a month - so there were 6 Potlucks...mostly all homemade food.   I always did wacky cake cupcake b/c one of the teachers didn't eat dairy. 

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview