login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Question--WWYD  (Read 6308 times)

Description:

Offline lakeswimr

Question--WWYD
« on: September 15, 2013, 05:01:01 PM »
My child's school has asked for permission to talk directly with allergist.  How would you word your response to this request? 

twinturbo

Re: Question--WWYD
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 06:34:08 PM »
What I would do --

All questions for the allergist re:patient (my child) should be finalized in a single page. Upon receipt I can schedule a consultation appointment with the allergist. This will set a dedicated time within a busy schedule to focus on the questions which will be discussed real time with patient's parents. The office will then know how to code it for insurance billing.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 06:55:55 PM »
Never, oh NEVER would I allow school (or any of their representatives, including nurse) to have DIRECT access to allergist or ANY other med provider.

Anything/everything that school may wish to ask or "clarify" may be put in writing and then be presented to the appropriate med care provider, IF I, as parent, deem the info necessary for the care and education of my child at that school . . . otherwise, I would politely decline.

We've (FAS and at previous pa dot com) had lots of discussions about giving carte blanche (which IS what a  permission to "talk to allergist" permission is ) . . . AND how important it is to NOT give that sort of access to the medical provider for child.

Many accounts through the years as to schools fishing for info to use against parents, info to use to attempt to refute the parents' requests for necessary and appropriate accommodations, and instances of damaging of parent/patient/doctor relationships.

Just no.  Politely but firmly, no.  (Word your response in terms of HIPPAA and medical privacy, as well as the patient/doctor relationship being one that does not include the school.)  And if you have any inkling that the school may try to go around you to contact med care providers, then be sure you've indicated (in writing) on forms at doc's office that there are specific NAMED individuals who may have access to child's med records (typically mom & dad) and NOBODY else.  Be sure that in the insurance pages (where you sigh to authorize the insurance co to have access to whatever) that there isn't some sort of other blanket authorization for others, including schools.

Lakeswimr, this is really important.

Protect your privacy and your child's privacy. 

(Edited for typos & brain fart!)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 06:54:31 PM by ajasfolks2 »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 07:01:40 PM »
Thank you both.  I'm wondering more if you would suggest how to word my reply.  I would like it to be as polite as possible but will decline this request. 

twinturbo

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 07:17:47 PM »
That is how I would word it. It lets them know the conditions that are to be met if they have questions "for the allergist". Most likely they'd never get to the point of writing it down. It's obvious what the purpose in a call to the allergist is but it also puts them on notice the allergist's time costs me money one way or another.

Our school is unlikely to do it since we all have the same allergist but I know SpEd is going to try. Ironic, eh?

I'm not sure how applicable my method is for anyone else though. It's my way of politely calling their bluff to be scheduled at my convenience. I do respect the allergist's time and would never assume a consult from ANYONE should be considered freebies on a whim.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 07:34:57 PM by twinturbo »

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 07:39:17 PM »
I could do that but I actually just want to say something more along the lines of asking them what they would like to know and telling them I will contact the allergist and get whatever info it is they are seeking.  I am NOT going to schedule an appointment for the sake of asking questions that I don't even have so calling a bluff or not, I'm not going to offer to do that.  But I do get you. 

twinturbo

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 07:50:56 PM »
^So wordsmith the above, right?

Please send me a written list of the questions you have so I may review them before consultation with the allergist. As parents have been designated experts in the management of child's allergies most will likely be answerable by us.

If my brain fires up later I'll add variations. Maybe one will click/feel more right. It admittedly reads awkward.

Perkier version

Yes, we can get that done. As soon as you can get the questions written up can you email in a word doc or PDF, please? That way I can review it for questions we already have the answer to. Anything beyond that I'll be able to contact the allergist about. A file allows us all to literally be on the same page to reduce communication errors. Please let me know if you have any other questions otherwise I will look for that list from you.

haha. Perky is so not me.

Resisting urge to write parody version.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 08:19:14 PM by twinturbo »

me

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 07:59:40 PM »
It is good.  I just want it to be a bit more polite in tone.  But what you wrote isn't rude by any means. 

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 08:05:01 PM »
I've used something along the lines of,

"If you'd like to put any questions/ concerns you may have -- that are directly related to the LTFA of our child -- in writing, we would be willing to convey those to our medical care provider in order to provide you with clarity."

and then if/when there is more push back and more strong wording is needed, we've had to go to something as follows:

"Our physician(s) are OUR medical care providers.  The relationship is doctor - patient!  In the interest of our child's/family's right to medical privacy (HIPAA), we will be the conduit of information sharing.  We have the relationship with the medical provider, not the school. . . "

And at some point along the road, in one instance we've had to finally and simply say, without tone or any explanation (and YOU have this right up front):

NO.

They have no right to any of the records or to direct Q&A with your physicians.

There is nothing wrong with a polite but direct NO.

If they persist, then request (in writing) that THEY put their request (including the whys) in writing.

A "no" is not impolite in and of itself.   :) 

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 08:08:49 PM »
Links, this is really important.

Protect your privacy and your child's privacy.

For the 504 threads?  I was planning to restart those this week  :).

----------------------------------------

Lakeswimr,

Getting the kids to bed, will try to come back ... There might be some good wording in some existing threads.

----

These threads talk about the topic a bit, but I didn't see a lot about specific wording.

Authorization for the release of info waiver

Re: New here, but need help before meeting with principal
They have documentation regarding his condition, his history, and the potential for fatal anaphylaxis.  They need NOTHING MORE.  No waiver, no discussion with your doc, nothing.  If they have questions for your doc, they can damned well put them in writing and include YOU in communications with your child's physician.  Anything else is "inappropriate" as it doesn't include you.  Trust me-- you do NOT want them to have unfettered access to your physician.

-----

I like Ajas's wording above

"If you'd like to put any questions/ concerns you may have -- that are directly related to the LTFA of our child -- in writing, we would be willing to convey those to our medical care provider in order to provide you with clarity."

:yes:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 03:00:39 PM by LinksEtc »

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 08:16:09 PM »
There might be some good wording in some existing threads.

Yes, and some of that probably even dates back to PA.com days.

I think that others are spot on--

a) WE are the ones paying our physicians, not the school.  Ergo, the doc works for us and the patient-family relationship.

b) HIPAA and FERPA are not =

c) anything they want to know, they ought to be able to put in writing.  If they have an URGENT need-- so urgent that it can't be put in writing, I mean-- then a phone call to the allergist isn't what they ought to be doing.  I want no confusion re: calling 911 or calling the doctor's office, and neither does my child's physician.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 08:25:42 PM »
It's a good reminder to verify what all is the protocol with the doctors offices and what I signed with county services. I've got no one to blame but myself if I don't check.

One more reason to request all questions in writing to proactively (of course *wink*) discern if they are questions the allergist can and should answer, or best answered through technical assistance through OCR if it concerns the removal of a barrier to educational access. Not many questions regarding food are as allergy related as they are ADA matters.

Thumbs up or down? I think I may use that for sped.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 10:48:29 PM by twinturbo »

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 11:11:07 PM »
On the front end of our 504 process our Sped Director (who was totally on our side) wanted that permission granted. I said no way.  However, they did put DS' information in front of the district pediatrician--who has a private practice.  I said I also wanted to speak with her, and I did.  She said she saw nothing that would indicate he shouldn't have a 504 (and DS was the first in the district).  In fact, she said she wasn't really qualified to judge.  DS is not her patient. 

:thumbsup:

Later this doctor became involved in my nonprofit.  I haven't been in a position to relate that experience to her, nor would I.  But I think she's a pretty awesome person for many reasons.

Long personal story--but suffice it to say that before eligibility is granted (which is not the case for lakeswimmr), districts may want to contact the allergist to discuss the allergy itself, severity, etc. 

What we did instead (and at the very strong urging of our Sped Dir--along with some resistance from me): I got the record of all three allergists DS had seen.  It clearly demonstrated allergy.  I still resent having to do that, but once we got into the meeting, the Sped Dir basically directed things the way we wanted them, so no harm done.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 08:17:08 AM »
Thanks, all.  I replied a polite no.  I appreciate all your responses.  It helped me feel better about things!  :)

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 06:56:43 PM »
Links, sorry!  I meant "Lakeswimr" -- I edited to fix.

I need to wear reading glasses when I'm on the boards . . . or else bump up the view size!  Gah!!!   :fishslap: