FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: How My Nut Allergy Made Me More Monogamous  (Read 8509 times)

Description:

Offline nameless

Re: How My Nut Allergy Made Me More Monogamous
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 12:40:11 PM »
Gonna be a dissenting voice here and say--

Monogamy is irrelevant here--the issue is trust, boundaries, and disclosure. If she were as careful with multiple trusted partners as she is with her bf, that would be fine, too.  :heart:

YKW, FWIW, garlic can sometimes be a good metaphor for talking about foods and bodily fluids--you know how if someone eats a whooooole lot of garlic, you can smell it in their sweat? Pretty easy to use that as a basis for particles from foods showing up in non-digestive fluids, and generalize from there.

I think the title they used for her article was...a safe title...and didn't imply anything about promiscuity.

Meaning --- it might have been more aptly title, "Promiscuous Casual Encounters Isn't for Severe Food Allergic Individuals" --- where promiscuity means being casual and non-discriminate.  Folks will severe allergies have to be cautious (not casual) and be discriminate with who they kiss and etc.  Little to no impulsive actions with complete strangers (meaning...if you start to talk about allergies and ask about what they ate in the past 24 hours, they are not a complete stranger anymore).

I agree with Rachel, has nothing to do with monogamy.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline Ra3chel

Re: How My Nut Allergy Made Me More Monogamous
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 02:47:22 PM »
Gonna be a dissenting voice here and say--

Monogamy is irrelevant here--the issue is trust, boundaries, and disclosure. If she were as careful with multiple trusted partners as she is with her bf, that would be fine, too.  :heart:

YKW, FWIW, garlic can sometimes be a good metaphor for talking about foods and bodily fluids--you know how if someone eats a whooooole lot of garlic, you can smell it in their sweat? Pretty easy to use that as a basis for particles from foods showing up in non-digestive fluids, and generalize from there.

I think the title they used for her article was...a safe title...and didn't imply anything about promiscuity.

Meaning --- it might have been more aptly title, "Promiscuous Casual Encounters Isn't for Severe Food Allergic Individuals" --- where promiscuity means being casual and non-discriminate.  Folks will severe allergies have to be cautious (not casual) and be discriminate with who they kiss and etc.  Little to no impulsive actions with complete strangers (meaning...if you start to talk about allergies and ask about what they ate in the past 24 hours, they are not a complete stranger anymore).

I agree with Rachel, has nothing to do with monogamy.

Adrienne

Oh, I agree--just pointing out that monogamy vs. casual promiscuity is a false dichotomy, which nuance seemed to have been lost in both article and discussion.
The 3 is silent.