Reinject with same epipen?

Started by Annie, October 01, 2013, 09:01:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Annie

I recently had a parent tell the teacher that if they need to use the epipen on her child, wait about 15min. and need to use it again that they can reinject the same epipen again?  Has anyone ever heard of this?  It's not an adrenaclick, just a standard epipen.

CMdeux

Um-- NO.

Epipens are single-use devices; once used, there is no additional medication to be delivered by the device.

Now, what was possibly intended by that advice is

Multicenter Study of Repeat Epinephrine Treatments for Food-Related Anaphylaxis

and

Kids with Food Allergies may need to carry TWO epipens

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

I realize in context OP most likely means Twinject when mentioning Adrenaclick. Adrenaclick did come back to the market recently but it is a single-dose device. Twinject to my knowledge as of the date I write this has not been brought back to the market. There are no multiple dose devices in manufacture. Even the last of the Twinjects before being discontinued would have almost assuredly expired by now.

No guarantee I'll get to it in a timely manner but Dey/Mylan likely has specific menton of one dose in their literature. My guess would be both online and in the pamphlet they give us.

This is from the home page at epipen.com.

QuoteEpiPenĀ® (epinephrine) Auto-Injectors contain a single dose of epinephrine, which you inject into your outer thigh.

Mechanically I'm not sure you could re-use an Epipen, right? At least not with the current design where the orange guard comes down when you pull the injector away from the site of injection. The guard locks in place to cover the needle. All of our expended pens we used for teacher training don't even fit back into the plastic tubes because of the locked orange guard.

maeve

You cannot reuse an EpiPen in the current design. The needle retracts into the device.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview