FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Okra and tomatoes  (Read 5387 times)

Description: Brand?

twinturbo

Re: Okra and tomatoes
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 07:22:36 PM »
Blue Star Koda Mochiko. But if you want or need to keep it paleo arrowroot is the least starch or non-starch thickener. Sweet potato flour or tapioca starch would do it, too if added starch is good. At that point good old corn starch would as well.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 09:48:51 PM »
Well, if I can make a roux, anyone can. And really, the roux is a flavor thing. But for thickening, okra will work!  :yes:
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 05:58:10 AM »
Well, if I can make a roux, anyone can. And really, the roux is a flavor thing. But for thickening, okra will work!  :yes:

I can make a roux as well.  But some say it is sacrilege to not use wheat flour which we cannot use.  My SIL had bought a book of gumbo recipes about a year ago.  I remembered doing research then about how to make a GF roux which left me reading some typical allergy comments.  I looked again last night with more success.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 09:00:23 AM »
The amount of corn starch needed to thicken a large pot of something is pretty minimal net carbs. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

twinturbo

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 01:00:20 PM »
That reminds me. I have to go stalk your recipes for glycemic friendly ideas.