Plant sterols?

Started by Jessica, March 26, 2012, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica

I noticed today that there is a variety of smart balance spread that contains plant sterols. I know with minute maid, they said that peanut was a possible source. I just checked the smart balance site and the FAQs say this:
Plant sterols, or phytosterols, are naturally occurring compounds found in small amounts in plants such as grains, legumes, vegetables, fruits and nuts. Phytosterols compete with cholesterol for absorption during digestion, and this helps to limit the amount of cholesterol absorbed into the blood stream.  Clinical studies have shown that 1,300mg of plant sterol esters per day helps reduce cholesterol when consumed as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol.

Naturally the source isn't disclosed on the label. Is this one of the exemptions from the labeling law or would plant sterols sourced from nuts/peanuts have to be labeled as such? We normally use the regular smart balance spread but I bought land o lakes butter/canola spread instead this time. But I just bought an earth balance spray butter a week or two ago and now I'm not sure if I want dd to use it.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

candyguru

Becel also has a plant sterol margarine.  I never bought it, as it doesn't list the source of the plant sterols.  I must call them one day.  I wish they would list the source of plant sterols on products
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

shoshana

earth balance spread doesn't have plant sterols as an ingredient.  they do have "natural ingredients (plant derived from corn)" listed.

Jessica

Quote from: shoshana on March 26, 2012, 07:39:26 PM
earth balance spread doesn't have plant sterols as an ingredient.  they do have "natural ingredients (plant derived from corn)" listed.

I'm worried about cross contamination at this point. From the spreads that do have the plant sterols.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

shoshana

i know when i called about their peanut butter, they told me there was no chance of cross-contamination -- the peanut butter was made in a different facility.  i don't know about the smart balance.  i'd be curious to know.  we've used earth balance for almost 9 years without incidence.  dd is dairy, treenut and peanut allergic.

Jessica

reply from smart balance:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at Smart Balance. We always appreciate hearing from consumers who care enough to reach out to us with their comments or questions.

Our plant sterols do not come from nuts or any type of peanut plant or product. They are nut free.

Thank you for supporting Smart BalanceĀ® products. We hope you continue to enjoy our products for many years to come! There's a lot of buzz that Omega-3s are part of a heart healthy diet, but do you know why? Visit Smartbalance.com to learn the Omega-3 essentials.

Sincerely,

Your Friends at Smart Balance
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

nonuteen

Has anyone called on this recently?  I buy smart balance light due to a dairy intolerance but dd is pa/tna and now I am worried since they also make peanut butter.  I didn't realize this before!  I plan on contacting in the morning but wondered if anyone else uses this?  Hoping it is made in a separate facility...

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview