login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: New finds  (Read 3167 times)

Description:

Offline YouKnowWho

New finds
« on: October 01, 2013, 08:41:23 AM »
DS1 has a new brand he loves - Schar.  http://www.schar.com/

We discovered the bread a few months ago which is GF and egg free and somewhat shelf stable (this has never happened for DS1) at SuperWalmart.  While we were visiting in NJ, I found wafers (like the old sugar wafers) in vanilla, chocolate and hazelnut.  Also found short bread, plain and chocolate covered and hamburger buns.  I stocked up before we left LOL

We also discovered GlutenFreeda pizza rolls which is essentially a gluten free Hot Pocket (at a much higher cost).  DS1 was in love and no kidding, ate 8 of them in five days  :misspeak:
http://www.glutenfreeda.com/

IMMV - they were within our comfort zone for his wheat, rye, barley and egg allergy :)
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline krasota

Re: New finds
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 10:33:01 AM »
The brand Schar wasn't always egg-free.  Or are you just talking about the bread?

Then again, if the brand is becoming more egg-free, that explains why I keep seeing soy popping up on ingredient lists for things that I used to buy. 
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 11:14:14 AM »
The brand Schar wasn't always egg-free.  Or are you just talking about the bread?

Then again, if the brand is becoming more egg-free, that explains why I keep seeing soy popping up on ingredient lists for things that I used to buy.

Okay, I should clarify.  Not everything is egg free, I know they make several things with egg but it was in none of the stuff that I saw on the shelves and purchased.  I am okay with egg in the facility and sometimes, depending on brand, shared lines.  He has this really weird egg tolerance/intolerance line that follows closely with his allergy cup full issues.  This is with our allergists blessing.

But yes, soy in both products :/  And I obviously shop with you in mind because my first thoughts are - is this gluten free, egg free and what is the soy content so I can share the brand with you.

I am not keen on soy but given the other limitations, it seems like the lesser of the evils and in minimal amounts for him since they are more treats (minus the bread which he runs hot and cold on to begin with - he likes it, don't get me wrong, but he does so much bread free that he can take or leave bread).

I just figured it might be a good thread to start since there are so many new GF options popping up even if they don't satisfy everyone's total allergy needs, kwim?

DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline krasota

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 02:02:29 PM »
Oh, I totally know what you mean.  :)

--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.