FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Discussion Boards > Teens and Food Allergies

Teen Traveling with School: Hotel Concerns and Meals Away

<< < (4/17) > >>

rebekahc:
For avocado that lasts until lunch... the Wholly Guacamole brand has just-avocado packets, too - Wholly Avocado.  Those would stay fresh to be added to a sandwich at lunch time.  For DD, we freeze them and they defrost by lunch.  Ingredients: 100% Hass Avocados

Janelle205:
This may sound really disgusting, and I don't know how easy it is to find PF sunflower kernels, but one of my favorite quick to carry lunches is cottage cheese mixed with sunflower kernels spread on whole wheat crackers.

Before OAS, I would mix finely chopped fresh cucumber in as well.

maeve:
Is there shelf-stable vegetarian food you could mail to the hotel in advance?

Ra3chel:

--- Quote from: nameless on October 02, 2013, 06:04:50 PM ---Pumpkin oatmeal whole wheat mini-muffins (I have a recipe if you need one) are filling and have good nutrition/protein.  I also have a good oatmeal snack bar recipe (I made coconut/choc chip ones, then pumpkin raisin/craisin ones).

--- End quote ---

Yes to both, please!!

nameless:
In recipes :)

The snack bar is this: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Playgroup-Granola-Bars/   with the following tweaks

- half the sugar
- white whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour
- replace half the oil with unsweetened applesauce

I'll add in dark chocolate chips and flaked coconut (usually the Baker's sweet one...sometimes unsweetened if I can find it)

Another version I add 3/4 cup pumpkin and only use 1 TB oil and toss in Craisins.

Maybe it's the applesauce addition, but they come out soft for me. I like that. I also don't bake them for the length in the recipe --- when I can see they are baked through I'll take them out.

Once cooled --- I'll cut into bars and seal them in Glad Press & Seal and chuck them in the freezer. they freeze and defrost exceptionally well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version